Antique handgun for putting down Your Deer.

Would you use a Antique hand gun for putting down Your Deer.


  • Total voters
    115

starpuss

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.6%
146   2   0
Ok. Let’s say you shoot your deer and when you go up to it it’s not dead. (On the ground kicking)
Would you take the 40 seconds to 5 min it take for some people to reload there muzzleloader. Or would you take your gun out of your holster and shoot it in the head.

Last year I asked a ranger if that would be ok. He told me he would not care. The deer is dead/going to die. And its not like you hunted with the hand gun. But he also told me that other rangers and cops may not think like him..

do you think this would be legal or not?

--well looks like this would be called "hunting" so then it is illegal to do.--
 
Last edited:
If its dead, why are you shooting it with your handgun?

If its NOT dead:

"During a big game general rifle season, a hunter may use a centrefire rifle, a shotgun (minimum 20 gauge) firing a single projectile, a muzzleloading firearm of appropriate calibre firing a single projectile, a crossbow, archery equipment or any combination of the above."
pg. 18, 2009 Manitoba Hunters Guide

I'm not one to let an animal suffer BUT its against the law, period. Sorry.
 
no !!!!!!! why screw up a good thing ??????? use your antique for what it is allowed . plinking and target practice .we dont want too loose a good thing .
 
From a morally/ethically humane point of view,no,I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.LEOs do it to roadkill all the time.That said,99.9% of CDNs would be breaking a law if not several merely for posessing a handgun in that situation,let alone using it.Unless you are an LEO or have a carry permit in bear country,I'm guessing most people have no bizness being in the woods with a holstered gun.....not that I agree with that,it's just the way it is in Kanuckistan.Dumb poll.:jerkit:
 
From a morally/ethically humane point of view,no,I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.LEOs do it to roadkill all the time.That said,99.9% of CDNs would be breaking a law if not several merely for posessing a handgun in that situation,let alone using it.Unless you are an LEO or have a carry permit in bear country,I'm guessing most people have no bizness being in the woods with a holstered gun.....not that I agree with that,it's just the way it is in Kanuckistan.Dumb poll.:jerkit:

^^ Not familiar with antique handgun rules yet?^^

No - I would not use the handgun to finish off a game animal unless it was legal to hunt with it. You are still hunting.
 
It's not black and white. Your conservation officer buddy told you straight, i think. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine getting charged for illegal hunting with a handgun by the another fish cop who isn't as socially well adjusted as the one you talked to.

You might not even have to fire the antique to be charged - the fact that you are carrying it and you are deer hunting might be enough for some fish cops to charge you. If it goes to court, who knows what a judge would decide? Remember that right or wrong have no place in a court of law. Justice isn't often found in the justice system.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but i am saying you should go in with your eyes open.
 
From a morally/ethically humane point of view,no,I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.LEOs do it to roadkill all the time.That said,99.9% of CDNs would be breaking a law if not several merely for posessing a handgun in that situation,let alone using it.Unless you are an LEO or have a carry permit in bear country,I'm guessing most people have no bizness being in the woods with a holstered gun.....not that I agree with that,it's just the way it is in Kanuckistan.Dumb poll.:jerkit:

You guessed wrong. It is legal to carry a prescribed antique handgun anywhere that it would be legal to carry a longarm. No carry permit required.
 
Last edited:
Ooops...I guess I missed the "antique" part?:redface:
EDIT:No,I guess I'm not all that familiar with prescribed antiques laws.Where can I learn more?Would a flintlock repro qualify or does it have to be an original?
 
I dunno about you guys but the first thing I do before even going to look for my deer is reload. Takes what.... 15-20 seconds to reload???? And if it gets up I can hit it running with my muzzleloader......
That being said I have a lawyer looking into whether or not I can legally hunt with a handgun in Ontario. Can't seem to find any law against it....
 
I put 'maybe'. First, I would check with the local Chief CO. He and all his fellow officers for that district or regions would have to be on board with that, or I would not do it.
 
Ok. Let’s say you shoot your deer and when you go up to it it’s not dead. (On the ground kicking)
Would you take the 40 seconds to 5 min it take for some people to reload there muzzleloader. Or would you take your gun out of your holster and shoot it in the head.
Isn't that the point of hunting with a Muzzle loader..........makes as much sense as shooting it with a bow then "putting it down" with your firearm ? :confused:

Just MO.......YMMV:)
 
You raise an interesting point when you mention a knife. Its not legal to hunt deer with a knife, but you can certainly cut its throat with one when its wounded. If a CO saw you do that, would you be charged with illegally hunting with a knife? I think that's only an argument I'd want to raise if I was defending my actions.

Bottom line is I would be cautious about where I do things that are at risk of criticism. If you believe its legal and ethical, and do so on your own land, who's going to hassle you? But if you do it on crown land, esp where you don't know the NRO, you run the risk of having to explain yourself to a judge.

Personally, I'd like to hear that you tried it, and it worked well. Our gun laws are just too restrictive and arbitrary.
 
In the name of Science, it might be a good idea to perform a ballistics test on a whitetail cadaver, after the hunt. If you see the bullet causes devastating damage, then you know you are good to go in terms of the capability of the antique cartridge.
 
I dunno about you guys but the first thing I do before even going to look for my deer is reload. Takes what.... 15-20 seconds to reload???? And if it gets up I can hit it running with my muzzleloader......
That being said I have a lawyer looking into whether or not I can legally hunt with a handgun in Ontario. Can't seem to find any law against it....

It's under the "Firearms" section in the Hunting Regs Summary (2nd sentence)....you can't hunt with handguns or full-auto firearms. ;)
 
Ooops...I guess I missed the "antique" part?:redface:
EDIT:No,I guess I'm not all that familiar with prescribed antiques laws.Where can I learn more?Would a flintlock repro qualify or does it have to be an original?

A flintlock repro rifle is antique (isn't classified as a firearm)
A flintlock repro pistol is classified as a restricted firearm same as a modern handgun.
A pre 1898 flintlock pistol is antique.

It doesn't necessarily make sense.

Look here for more info: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217529
 
Back
Top Bottom