Antique handguns.....to shoot or not to shoot? (Poll Inside)

Antique handguns.....to shoot or not to shoot

  • I shoot my antique handguns

    Votes: 51 60.0%
  • I do not shoot any antique I own

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Some yes.....some, forget about it.....

    Votes: 29 34.1%
  • I do not have or want to have antique handguns

    Votes: 1 1.2%

  • Total voters
    85

BadLieutenant

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Location
Montreal, Quebec
I'm wondering what is the % of collectors that shoot their antique handguns, and the ones that do not.

I see expensive revolvers on the net that I would not want to shoot myself....:cool:
 
I guess it depends on what it is. If it was a mint unturned Colt, or the like from the day or fragile in some form, I may be reluctant to shoot it. Anything I own I would probably shoot every once and a while.
From a collectors stand point maybe they shouldn't be shot. But I'm not a very good collector...
 
I own mine to shoot casualy. They are not put through boot camp or anything but I give them a little work out now and then.

I wouldnt own them If they wernt for shooting or for parts for my other shooting guns.
 
The fun of owning antiques is to shoot them and in some cases they haven't been fired in several decades so it means getting them up and running again. Sometimes it means expensive brass or making up brass from something else.......all part of the enjoyment.
Do some research, ask some questions, keep the loads down and enjoy.
 
I'm with Willy. To me shooting is the culmination of researching antiques before and after aquisition,fixing, finding,making rare components and utlimately using a piece of history once again.

I fail to see the point if I can't shoot them. There are a couple of pieces in my collection I enjoy for their intrinsic engineering and beauty(eye candy), but they still get shot, admittedly not that much :)
 
I have a 1917 vintage 1911 that has been shot a lot and I intend to shoot it as long as it will shoot.Someone went to the trouble of replacing the sights... did a good job. The barrel is worn but serviceable. An STI extractor dropped right in when the original broke... going to the range on Saturday.


BabyRange1911911NewGrips001.jpg


It is not an antique but it is old and it shoots smokeless powder...oops wrong thread.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom