"Antique" Mausers - time for a thread?

cyclone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
I've got a personal mania for Mauser rifles that preceded the famous Model 98...and was wondering if anyone here had the same passion....:cheers:


Then again, this is a pretty naked request for "antique* Mauser pr0n".....:stirthepot2:



* (EDIT: I just mean "older", not "legally antique in Canada")
 
Last edited:
I beleive, sadly, the idiots that make the rules will only allow the M1871 (rifle, carbine) to be considered "antique"
All other variants have the devilish magazine thingy, making them far too dangerous for the great unwashed to have access to.
 
I beleive, sadly, the idiots that make the rules will only allow the M1871 (rifle, carbine) to be considered "antique"
All other variants have the devilish magazine thingy, making them far too dangerous for the great unwashed to have access to.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said :)
 
I didn't mean to stop the thread.
Just because a bunch of idiots won't grant antique status to these old guns (for really lame reasons) doesn't mean they aren't antiques to anyone with half a brain.
Please post away and remember, this thread is useless without pics!! LOL
 
I know it's getting boring, because I posted this picture already a few times, but it fits perfectly in this thread.

IMG_3235.jpg


Not antique according to our laws, but old. These are my three "Prussian girls" (Spandau, Danzig and Erfurt), they love 385grs of lead combined with 28grs of H4198 and a TP wad. :)
They are so much fun to shoot, that I started to cast for them, to be able to get them out on a regular basis.
 
How do i put pics in here lol 43 Mauser
"My favorite cartridge" I have 2 71/84's
That are configured identical lopped over bolts
And tubes and barrels shortened and crowned
I have one case colored by Oskar Kob
I'd be happy to share loading data with anyone
I have oodles of loads using pistol and shotgun powders
My bullet of choice is the RCBS 395 gr flat point
And 30 gr of SR4759 with Dacron as filler
Prints a 3" group at 100 yards, velocity is around 1470fps
 
it doesn't look like there is much interest in this kind of "milsurp".
May I suggest, that we'll get together one day to shoot our "old" Mausers, here in the GTA?
 
I know it's getting boring, because I posted this picture already a few times, but it fits perfectly in this thread.

IMG_3235.jpg


Not antique according to our laws, but old. These are my three "Prussian girls" (Spandau, Danzig and Erfurt), they love 385grs of lead combined with 28grs of H4198 and a TP wad. :)
They are so much fun to shoot, that I started to cast for them, to be able to get them out on a regular basis.

3 absolute beauties... I can't imagine how much fun they would be to shoot.
 
it doesn't look like there is much interest in this kind of "milsurp".
May I suggest, that we'll get together one day to shoot our "old" Mausers, here in the GTA?

It does seem odd that there isn't more interest here for these guns.
They are certainly antique by any sane measure. They are beautifully made and although big/heavy by todays standards, they balance very well. They are an absolute blast to shoot, BP or smokeless. They are accurate enough to make them a challenge and to hold ones interest. Making brass and bullets for them is a pastime all on its' own. There isn't an animal in North America (short of brown and white bears) that you would need more gun to hunt with. There are enough variants to make them a challenge to collect.
I don't know what more you can ask for in a group of guns! LOL
 
I had a buddy offer to give me a 71/84? Mauser.(my best guess)
I'm guessing(again) in .43 Mauser as the hole in the end of the barrel is perty big.
Not much bolt throw on it and a tube mag...does that sound about right?
Looks a lot like the three in the pic just not as clean.
I declined after having a quick look for dies/components.
After seeing this thread I'm thinking I might accept, even if just to have it as a conversation piece.
 
Get it - 43 mauser is a favorite of mine as well - nice shooting cartridge and the G71/84's are lots of fun - incredibly well built, surprisingly user friendly and unique!

Dies are quite cheap if I remember correctly, the bullet mold is more expensive but once you have it you're set. Plus there are a surprising number of guns chambered for it - werndl's, mannlicher straight pulls, G71's, G71/84's, and all manner of sporting rifles from combo guns, bolt guns and double rifles.

Annnnnd then we get into the world of commercial guns in 43 mauser :D

OriginalMauserCivileMod71-8401_zps66c34463.jpg


OriginalMauserCivileMod71-8404_zpsed586ea5.jpg
 
Father-in-law has a 71/84 that is pretty much mine for the asking ( for the appropriate $$$ ); a Spandau IIRC.
Ammunition components are too much of a PITA IIRC.
The pristine 71 carbine ...couldn't afford the 500 $ when it went up for sale. Now that was nice!
 
This rifle has been in my family for many years and originally belonged to my grandfather on my Dad's side.From what my father says this gun has been in the family for as long as he can remember,from at least the 30's, and has accounted for an untold number of deer and just about anything else that wandered around that was edible.It has also taken care of it's share of varmints in one form or another.The rifle shoots very well and is an absolute joy to handle.I am by no means an expert on old Mauser rifles but even though this one has been sporterised to some extent I thought that some of you might appreciate a few pictures of it.The rifle was made in 1875 by NA&A and to this day still has a nice ,clean bore with plenty of rifling.My first attempt at posting photos,hope they are OK.



 
Nice gun bj!
Wonderfull history. A keeper for sure.
What components do you use for loading for it?
Thanks,ya I like the old gal.I've been loading ammo for this rifle since I took over "ownership" of it back in the mid 70's.At that time I started to gather up what I could in terms of loaded rounds and empty brass either at local gunshows or ads in the old Gunrunner paper,that worked fairly well actually.I was able to get my hands on a fair bit of virgin unprimed CIL brass and I was also able to snag some brand spanking new brass from early production Brass Extrusion Laboratories Ltd. out of the states when that was still politically correct to do so.Between various sources I have built up a comfortable supply that should see me through for quite awhile.Most of the bullets I have loaded have been in the 350gr. or so ballpark,depends on the exact alloy which will vary a bit from different sources.I don't cast my own but sourced them from several different enthusiasts,again from either gunshows or ads.In fact I am still working on one batch of cast bullets I obtained from a fella back in the early 80's.They certainly don't go bad.I have had good luck with a number of powders including many of the faster numbers like Unique,Red Dot up through to IMR 4198.Data for any 45-70 loads listed for the trap-door Springfields are a good guide to start with,at least in my experience.I have no desire to hot-rod this rifle and I use fairly conservative loads in it,much more economical and more fun to shoot anyway.Absolutely love this rifle.
 
Yes, I hear ya' bj. When lobing 350gr chunks of lead at Bambi, 2900 fps is not needed! LOL
I haven't tried Red Dot or Unique yet, but I plan to. So far I use ffg, 4198 and 4759. Been happy with all three so far. I tried Trail Boss but didn't like the feel of it nor the weird/hollow sound it made.
I only have full size M1871 and 71/84s now, but a carbine is in my future.
 
Back
Top Bottom