antique modification questions

tigertrout

Regular
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
was there a thread started that talked about modifications to antique status handguns......and if so can someone point me to it.

if not how is it possible that a lot of the handguns I see up for sale as antiques have been modofied as in shaved to fit this round and moon clips for this ammo and barrels and cylinders changed and so on.........

I thought I remembered reading that ypou can not modify.......

anyway just looking for the real goods.

can anyone list the more popular modifications to handguns.........

thanks Sean
 
Last edited:
I just had a gunshop (supporting member here) refuse to do a caliber swap on an antique claiming that the CFC will not allow it to be changed to that caliber. (which is odd as I already own the twin to it in the same caliber with a status letter issued in the last few months) I'm a little worried about what's going on at the CFC. :(
 
I had a smith refuse to do a calibre swap to another cartridge not named on the list. He claimed there was something in the firearms act which prohibited modifying antiques to fire modern cartridges. (regardless of if they are not specifically named)

It wasn't worth it to argue or discuss further, he made it painfully clear his position on the issue would not change.

I havent really had time to peruse the FA in my very limited off time. Does anyone know what he was talking about?
 
Call the cfc. 800-731-4000 and ask for a firearms tech. Ask them and then you'll know for sure.

I asked for and got an antique letter for a SAA that had been factory converted from .45 colt to .38 special by colt in the 1950s. The tech told me .38 spl is not on the list of prohibited cartridges for antiques, and the frame is pre-1898 so no problem, and letter issued.

The problem with these forums is that some people may voice their opinion without having actual knowledge and it's hard to tell the good advice from the bad. Call the CFC and ask and then you will know.
 
^^^You two guys with the gunsmith problems need to find new gunsmiths. They are WRONG, plain and simple, they are simply playing it safe as they clearly DO NOT understand the regs and have no intention of trying to.

I've been thinking about getting a rifle rebarreled to a modern caliber by a local guy, I hope he won't be like this.
 
Something to think about - altering a collectible antique firearm may enhance its value as a shooter, given the present regulations - which are not carved in stone, and which could be changed at the whim of any future government. But it is destroying its collectibility as an original, unaltered antique.
Incidentally, when you get your RCMP letter, you do know that you have effectively registered your antique firearm?
 
Last edited:
I think the main problem with getting gunsmiths to do antique work is that they are generally busy enough without taking on antique jobs.
And why learn the laws if you don't need the work?


Incidentally, when you get your RCMP letter, you do know that you have effectively registered your antique firearm?

Nice to know that someone else "gets it!"
 
Last edited:
I think the main problem with getting gunsmiths to do antique work is that they are generally busy enough without taking on antique jobs.
And why learn the laws if you don't need the work?




Nice to know that someone else "gets it!"

The only thing is once you sell it they have no idea where it is, so yes and no.

Every Antique gun I'v personally requested a letter for is now no longer in my possession, so they are s**t outa luck.
 
Something to think about - altering a collectible antique firearm may enhance its value as a shooter, given the present regulations - which are not carved in stone, and which could be changed at the whim of any future government. But it is destroying its collectibility as an original, unaltered antique.
Incidentally, when you get your RCMP letter, you do know that you have effectively registered your antique firearm?

Thanks Tiriag, good advice there.
 
Something to think about - altering a collectible antique firearm may enhance its value as a shooter, given the present regulations - which are not carved in stone, and which could be changed at the whim of any future government. But it is destroying its collectibility as an original, unaltered antique.
Incidentally, when you get your RCMP letter, you do know that you have effectively registered your antique firearm?

Very true in most cases tho a simple cylinder swap from a
orignal 44 40 to 44 sp and then if things change for the worse its back to 44 40 again.
Right now the 44 40 has to be registered so i dont see how it can get worse the 44 Sp and 44 Russian does not.
 
Last edited:
The only thing is once you sell it they have no idea where it is, so yes and no.

Every Antique gun I'v personally requested a letter for is now no longer in my possession, so they are s**t outa luck.

Let's say that the definitions of deemed antique changes.
The firearm for which you obtained a letter is now restricted or prohibited.
Officer Friendly comes to your door, enquires about it. Oh, gee, I sold it to some guy, I forget who, don't have it any more. Officer Friendly smiles, nods, thanks you, goes on his way.
Or, NWEST comes to your door with a search warrant.
 
Let's say that the definitions of deemed antique changes.
The firearm for which you obtained a letter is now restricted or prohibited.
Officer Friendly comes to your door, enquires about it. Oh, gee, I sold it to some guy, I forget who, don't have it any more. Officer Friendly smiles, nods, thanks you, goes on his way.
Or, NWEST comes to your door with a search warrant.

Well there gona have fun with me LOL :D
I say come and try it bring it on.


Keep in mind if you dont exercise your rights then you dont really have them do you?
 
Last edited:
Sorry H Wally

im not following your train of thought....

Sorry - I guess I was unsure if you were asking if it was too easy because A) the firearms laws in Canada are usually as punitive as can be, or that it was too easy because B) something had been misread/misinterpreted.




I have the same problem with some gunsmiths not wanting to change the caliber. Frankly it doesn't seem to be worth their time. It's too risky to deal with guns that could potentially be used by gang bangers and if anything ever went wrong then it's their name, reputation, and means of making a living that's on the line (And you know the RCMP would string the gunsmith up by his neck regardless of the legalities involved. They'd probably charge him with intent or altering the gun "knowing" it was going to be used for no good. Certainly isn't above them to get him to alter an antique for them and quietly let slip that they'll be doing something suspicious or borderline illegal with it right as they've paid so he'd be out both the gun and the money if he protested.)
 
Back
Top Bottom