Antique Question

...

6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.
 
yes it is an antique , BUT it is on the no go list of cartridges .

rechamber and rebarreling it to something else not on the list should turn it into a prescribed antique .

Yeah thats unfortunately not how it works, it was originally chambered for .38S&W.

Honestly I'd really like to see it that atleast all pre 1899 guns are deemed antique status, but even better, any gun over 100 years old is antique status. They are a century old for christ sake, cut us some slack.
 
There are Colt SAA and DA guns around that have been modified to 44spl, 38spl, 45ACP etc that have been deregistered.

How does this work with the "Designed for" designation?.

If the Gun was originally designed to fire a no go caliber then how can changing it to another change the fact?

I don't follow, not complaining, just don't understand.
 
How does this work with the "Designed for" designation?.

If the Gun was originally designed to fire a no go caliber then how can changing it to another change the fact?

I don't follow, not complaining, just don't understand.

The NFA provides a good explanation and a great deal more detail:

7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.

Note: This includes any pre-1898 Colt Single Action or Double Action revolver in .41 calibre, plus any Smith and Wesson or other revolver in any .44 calibre other than .44-40 Winchester. If a Colt revolver, manufactured in 1882 is re-barreled and re-cylindered to fire .44 Special cartridges is still an "antique firearm" because .44 Special is not on the cartridge list.

Source: http://www.nfa.ca/node/130
 
calibre eligibility for 'antique' status

Tyockell18

You expect our guns laws to actually make sense, that's your problem. Logic, reason and common sense do not figure into the equation.

I have a Colt 'Lightning' in .38 Colt made in 1877, first year of manufacture. It is a 'prohib' because of it's less than 105mm barrel and calibre.

The insanity applies to replicas as well, my .31 1849 Pocket Model also being a 'prohib' due to it's barrel length.

But - the world is a safer and better place for that. Don't you feel better now? Yeah, right ......
 
Tyockell18

You expect our guns laws to actually make sense, that's your problem. Logic, reason and common sense do not figure into the equation.

I have a Colt 'Lightning' in .38 Colt made in 1877, first year of manufacture. It is a 'prohib' because of it's less than 105mm barrel and calibre.

The insanity applies to replicas as well, my .31 1849 Pocket Model also being a 'prohib' due to it's barrel length.

But - the world is a safer and better place for that. Don't you feel better now? Yeah, right ......

I'm aware of all of this, I have many short antique revolvers that "technically" would be prohibited for example, but are not because they were originally designed to fire .32 and .38 Rimfire, instead of .32 S&W or .38 short colt/ .38 S&W.

I'm refering to this :

There are Colt SAA and DA guns around that have been modified to 44spl, 38spl, 45ACP etc that have been deregistered.

This signifies to me that : A colt SAA in .45 colt or .44 40 ect. "no go list and Restricted status" is then converted to a .45acp or .44 special and becomes an antique.

The gun was originally chambered for a no go caliber, how can you change that fact?.

Its different if the gun was already chambered for .44 webley for example and changed to .44 russian.. or so on so forth because the gun was antique to begin with.

Again, not complaining if some have got away with it, its all complete bulls**t anyway. I see pre 1898 revolvers on Gun broker that I'd love to have all the time but they are the wrong caliber, its ridiculous.
 
I'm aware of all of this, I have many short antique revolvers that "technically" would be prohibited for example, but are not because they were originally designed to fire .32 and .38 Rimfire, instead of .32 S&W or .38 short colt/ .38 S&W.

I'm refering to this :



This signifies to me that : A colt SAA in .45 colt or .44 40 ect. "no go list and Restricted status" is then converted to a .45acp or .44 special and becomes an antique.

The gun was originally chambered for a no go caliber, how can you change that fact?.

Its different if the gun was already chambered for .44 webley for example and changed to .44 russian.. or so on so forth because the gun was antique to begin with.

Again, not complaining if some have got away with it, its all complete bulls**t anyway. I see pre 1898 revolvers on Gun broker that I'd love to have all the time but they are the wrong caliber, its ridiculous.

I would say that the cylinder was originally designed for 45 colt not the whole frame etc. as the same frame was used for many calibers just change the cylinder and/or barrel to something on the go list and a 44 russian cylinder was originally designed for 44russian ect.
 
I would say that the cylinder was originally designed for 45 colt not the whole frame etc. as the same frame was used for many calibers just change the cylinder and/or barrel to something on the go list and a 44 russian cylinder was originally designed for 44russian ect.

Ah thank you, now that makes sense to me :).
 
Yep, that makes sense ....

Dez

If you're going to interject with logic, reason and common sense in this duscussion, I'm outta here .... :>D

I sincerely hope to live long enough to see Canada restore all of the above with respect to guns and law.

Well,I can dream, can't I .....?
 
Back
Top Bottom