Antique revolvers Looking for a little info and a rough idea on price

Hoplight

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Location
Calgary ab
Hey there I have the opertunity to purchase a 1884 Swedish navy revolver in white with its box and a 1867 galand cartridge revolver in .450 I've done a lot of looking and haven't come up with much so I come to you :) , not sure how to post pics but I have a few of both guns I could email if your interested in having a look. So basically I just want to know a little about them, if they would be good for plinking or more of a safe queen and rough guess as a price point so don't get r@ped , there both in shooting shape if that helps at all. Thanks in advance !
Tom
 
Hey Hop. Lots of free advice on here, but we need a bit more helppp! A couple pics, BS condition, and a starting price. If I tripped on them in the dark, I would say 1900.oo for the pair. The Navy Box would be more, if it really meant anything, not a cat box. There's no % in buying antique safe queens as a rule, other than as an investment. Way more fun to shoot.
I never bought an antique hand gun that was too expensive, just bought them a few years to early.
 
Hi, I got the pictures, thanks.

The one in the white is a French Model 1873 service pistol. If it is in the original french chambering then it is chambered for 11mm French Revolver. It should have a .451" barrel (groove to groove). It is a bit of a pain to load for. Brass can be made from 44 russian/special cases, and I sell the proper heeled bullet for it. It looks to be VG externally, if the bore and mechanical condition are the same then I'd guess you could sell it for $1000-$1400.

I don't know much about the 2nd pistol. It could very well be a Galand, but I am not 100% sure about that, it could also be a Belgian clone. it is not a model 63, 68, or 70 galand. Later models from 1872 on did not have the open top. But the belgian makers make all kinds of variations. If it is a Galand it might have a maker's mark of the intials "CG" as well as the Liege proofmarks. Galand was French but his guns were made in Liege, belgium. The swedes used a very similar looking Galand revolver (called the Swedish Model 1863) but that was chambered 11mm pinfire. Galand made open top revolvers in the 1860s and early 1870s. Yours looks like it was from that era and I'd speculate it was a commercial build considering the polished blue finish and the scroll engraving which a military revolver would not have had. The triggerguard ius definitley belgian made, about 20 different belgian makers and a few british used the same t-guard. If it is chambered in 450 Adams(aka 450 revolver) and in good shooting condition then I'd say as rough guess it is worth $600-$1200. I'd really like to get a closer look at this one, it is quite interesting.
 
Last edited:
Awesome thanks for all the info guys , I was pretty lost ! I think I'm going to try and pick them up with what I know now . Jet hunter what part of Alberta are you in ? If I get them I can swing by if your close
 
Just a little up date
So I picked up the guns and from all the info I got from everyone this is what I learned

First one is a galand with early automatic ejection system in .450 with liege proof marks circa 1867

And the second one is a Swedish navy model 1873 made in 1884 and there was only 1000 made , 300 from Sutterlin and Lippmann and 700 from Henry this one is a Henry . Supposely it was made for one of the top brass , his initials are on it so I'll have to do a little more research. I believe this one hasn't been altered and is still in 11mm
 
Just a little up date
So I picked up the guns and from all the info I got from everyone this is what I learned

First one is a galand with early automatic ejection system in .450 with liege proof marks circa 1867

And the second one is a Swedish navy model 1873 made in 1884 and there was only 1000 made , 300 from Sutterlin and Lippmann and 700 from Henry this one is a Henry . Supposely it was made for one of the top brass , his initials are on it so I'll have to do a little more research. I believe this one hasn't been altered and is still in 11mm

Well not to argue with you but the pics you sent me the silver gun was / is a french 1873 it could be a navy model if theres and ancor on it somwhere but it has the french company name right on it there is some other stuff engraved on it that might be the gun was sent to sweden but it was made by the st etinna factory in france its marked as such.
Its not sweadish made thats for sure :)
maby swedish retailed. it is intresting it has that henry name on it. i would for sure look into it more if i were you.
i can send you pics of other 1873s you will see the exact same factory markings on them same as your gun has.
 
Sorry Dingus your correct , it was made in France for Sweden . Mas built 1000 , 300 for the government Ordered by sutterlin and Lippmann and 700 for Henry. I'll email you what I found
 
Sorry Dingus your correct , it was made in France for Sweden . Mas built 1000 , 300 for the government Ordered by sutterlin and Lippmann and 700 for Henry. I'll email you what I found

Thats a very rare french 1873 you should hang onto it . better investment than most things theses days.
 
Back
Top Bottom