Antique SAA with factory ammo?

2strklvr

Regular
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Location
Muskoka, Ontario
First of all let me say that I have searched this forum and other's for a definitive answer to my query with limited success. Instead I've found myself reading volumes of re-loading advice that is for the most part Greek to me. In searching and reading I have also cast many doubt's in my mind about my new toy, such as whether the frame is steel or iron, whether the cylinder has been upgraded to smokeless and whether I should even shoot it at all, to name but a few.

Anyways, here is my situation. I have recently purchased an antique SAA chambered in 45 Colt. I am currently waiting on CFO approval so I can take possession of it, so unfortunately I do not have all the gun info at hand. What I can tell you is that it is definitely a first generation, black-powder frame (5 digit serial # below 15000) and there is evidence, such as inspection stamps, that the gun has been re-worked . The gentleman that I am purchasing it off paid Colt's archive department for a letter stating the history of the gun, and while there is no early history records available there is indeed record of it coming back to Colt to be refurbished. IIRC that was in the late 1800's or early 1900's then subsequently it was shipped to the Spingfield Armory (I think)? When I finally get the gun and have letter I can quantify those details if it makes a difference. So keeping that limited amount of info in mind are there any factory loaded cartridges available in Canada that would be safe to shoot in this revolver? Of course that is assuming the gun is in good, safe working order. I'm not talking about putting 100's of rounds down the pipe either, but rather the occasional trip to the range.
 
Hornady makes a "cowboy" load that is a 255 grain bullet that produces 725 FPS at the muzzle this is roughly equivalent to a .45ACP round. I am not aware of any other .45Colt factory ammo that is less powerful.
American Eagle .45 Colt 225 grain bullet says on the box 860 FPS at the muzzle but I chronographed it at 920 FPS.
I am shooting a modern reproduction of a "black powder" frame SAA and found the Hornady ammo to be quite a hot load for the relatively light gun. I also found it expensive at about $1.00/round so I now reload a 230 grain round nose bullet that goes 764 FPS average.
It is possible that there are lighter loads available for cowboy action shooting but I haven't seen any.
Post some pictures of your gun when it shows up would love to see it.
 
Hornady makes a "cowboy" load that is a 255 grain bullet that produces 725 FPS at the muzzle this is roughly equivalent to a .45ACP round. I am not aware of any other .45Colt factory ammo that is less powerful.
American Eagle .45 Colt 225 grain bullet says on the box 860 FPS at the muzzle but I chronographed it at 920 FPS.
I am shooting a modern reproduction of a "black powder" frame SAA and found the Hornady ammo to be quite a hot load for the relatively light gun. I also found it expensive at about $1.00/round so I now reload a 230 grain round nose bullet that goes 764 FPS average.
It is possible that there are lighter loads available for cowboy action shooting but I haven't seen any.
Post some pictures of your gun when it shows up would love to see it.

It always seems to come back to re-loading eh? :D That just creates more questions than answers for me, but I do plan on getting into re-loading eventually. My buddy shoots a lot of 9mm and re-loads for that, so he could help me get set-up at least. Are you re-loading with smokeless, BP or a BP substitute?

When I get my Colt home I'll definitely post some pics. I would love to hear anything that the SAA guru's on this forum might be able to determine about the gun by looking at the pics.
 
I am currently re-loading smokeless (Unique) but have loaded with Black Powder,maybe you could buy a set of dies and use your buddy's press til you get your own. Here are some pictures of my SAA with a full case of Black powder (about 35 grains).

RangeJan82011010001_0002.jpg

RangeJan82011010001_0003.jpg

RangeJan82011010001_0004.jpg
 
good question

Thank you for asking this question - I have a French 1873 chambered in .45acp (I reload them pretty light with Unique) and I've been thinking of upgrading to an antique SAA in .44spec or russian, on the hopes of getting another 200-300fps out of the 200-grain bullet.

I'm looking forward to the collective wisdom answering your query.
 
Skinny - great looking SAA and very cool picture sequence. Almost makes me want to reload with BP, just for the smoke & fire. What I've read about the dangers of a partially loaded case does give me pause however. Who make's that repro anyways?
 
correct if im wrong . 45 colt is on the no go list , so has to be reg as restricted .

Correct. If you read my original post I mentioned that I am waiting on CFO approval of the transfer before I take possession of the Colt. However AFAIC it's still an antique, even though it doesn't have official antique-status. Same as my 1892 Winchester that was manufactured in 1894. According to our government it's not an official antique, but it's still an antique firearm in my books. At 118 years old, what else could you call it really?
 
2strklvr...It is a Uberti 1873 Cattleman in the "Antique" finish and it is a reproduction of the early black powder frame which has a screw holding the cylinder pin instead of a spring loaded button. The cylinder pin has two notches one for normal use and the other allows the cylinder pin to protrude through the frame and prevents the hammer from hitting the primer. I don't really trust this "safety" because the screw can loosen and the pin can slide forward allowing the hammer to hit the primer. I am in the habit of loading only 5 rounds and lowering the hammer on an empty chamber.
The .45 Colt cartridge can be loaded with less black powder by taking up the space with wads, I have done this using 24 grains of Goex and a couple of wads..works great.
Here is a picture of my "Antiqued" 1873:

New45Colt013.jpg
 
That's pretty cool. Did the gun come with the "wear" to the stocks and aging of the metal, or was that something you did? It's interesting that it has the two-line patent dates.
 
Last edited:
The "Antique" finish is a $140.00 extra option and the wear and ageing of the grips is part of the deal.
I also have a cap and ball 1873 :confused: which was made for the British market as they can't have cartridge revolvers,the finish is the normal blued with case colours. Notice that the cap and ball has a spring loaded release for the cylinder pin.
The picture shows both guns to compare finishes:

Two1873s004.jpg

RangeApril162011Revolvingcarbine009.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom