Antique status and the RCMP-CFC

scianna54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Location
Okanagan BC
So, there was that antique gun for sale in the US, I wasn't sure if it was antique, so I asked the seller about all the details and serial number.

Contacted CFC tech what they think - told me it's not antique, asked why - no answer. Whatever, I thought.

One 1/2 month later that thing showed up here on the EE - with antique status letter - end of story.
 
Do your own research. One of the stickies has the flowchart I made. You also don't need an atique letter to get one into the country, I honestly haven't noticed it to be any faster.
 
If you are using the CFC to prove something is antique you are asking for trouble.

Some of the more experienced antique guys know their stuff far better than the techs.
 
If you are using the CFC to prove something is antique you are asking for trouble.

Some of the more experienced antique guys know their stuff far better than the techs.


It's about knowledge and SN cut off - and even more importantly to not get it seized at the boarder. In this case it was a Webley RIC with fluted cylinders and high serial numbers.
 
Some of the techs are better than others, Sometimes you aren't actually talking to a firearms tech - you're talking to the person who answers the phones for the techs. This person is barely capable of looking up a firearm FRT on their computer but they are not capable or knowledgeable to do anything else.

I've aske d for an antique letter on a WG that was close to the cutoff, and the goof that answered the phone at 1090 said the WG wasn't antique - i said the ones made prior to 1898 were antique, and so on... until i told her i needed to speak to a real technician. She put me on hold for 45 minutes and then hung up on me. Next day I called, got a tech immediately, and had it confirmed as antique in 2 minutes.
 
These stories show why it is important to get the name of the person with whom you are speaking, and what their position is.
 
Who are the good ones to talk to?

When the phone is answered, ask for a firearms tech. If the answerer says "nobody is available can I help you?" ask them if they are a firearms tech, and don't waste your time talking to someone who is not. Email is the way to go now anyway.
 
When the phone is answered, ask for a firearms tech. If the answerer says "nobody is available can I help you?" ask them if they are a firearms tech, and don't waste your time talking to someone who is not. Email is the way to go now anyway.

I was trying to get info an an antique today on the 1090 #, I got the info needed, but am to e-mail my stuff. The e-mail add. for firearm ident was lost in translation tho.
Anyone have it handy? Thanks..
 
So does anybody know what the cut off number for a Webley RIC is in order to be antique? Why are such numbers not published? Said Webley had the Webley&Son marking (ceased to exist in 1897), still the RCMP claimed that it is not antique. Maybe I should have moved on to the next tech until I would have gotten the answer I wanted?
 
I have a RIC marked "Webley RIC No. 1 .476 CF" ser# 760xx that was verified as antique. I don't know what the cutoff is for antique status.
 
Back
Top Bottom