Antique Status Letter For Download

Excellent job. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this and for your revisions. Much appreciated!
 
Very good, you did a lot of work there.
This was an earlier quote and I just want to say your letter is great and perfect with the revisions, I just open it my word program and then type in info , it looks great and I truly believe if you also get the RCMP letter, you should have enough paperwork to make any body happy.
 
I concur, very nicely done. I've printed off several copies and saved the original to my desktop.
Thank you for going to the trouble on our ( antique forum ) behalf.
 
So, how have the newest RCMP lab "interpretations" of the law affected your letter?

Answered here. For those on mobile devices here's the answer;

Which letter, their own or .41colts?

In the case of the one done by .41colt their interpretation has no affect as that is a direct quote of the law, with the only addendum to include the antique that you're carrying. The law hasn't changed, just their interpretation, and the lab is relying on people not having the resources to challenge their opinion.

In the case of it affecting their own letter then yes it has as they have now shown their hand to have multiple ways out of it and not honouring the antique letter, all of which I have personally experienced since the changes in interpretation.

  • The main excuse for not honouring letters is that the lab has changed from working under Firearms Technology Unit (FTU-L) to the Specialized Firearms Support Services (SFSS). This apparently allows them to say that any decisions made under the direction of the FTU were wrong and that new decisions made by the SFSS are correct. The interesting part here is the SFSS retains many, if not all, of the same employees of the FTU that made the classifications in the first place.

    The SFSS is the lab responsible for the changes in interpretation, and changes to some FRT #'s.
  • They have also used the "based on the information that you supplied" portion of the letter to disregard letters obtained by the previous owners. Meaning that they can disregard letters by saying that something was provided incorrectly at time of obtaining the letter, and they don't have to reveal what the problem information was.
  • They do not consider previous letters to be precedent.

    For example if the SFSS has done their job correct to the wording of the law in the past and lettered a converted antique they will not allow that letter to be used as precedent for a new letter. Even though the letter comes from the same lab so they have no change of lab excuse such as the change from FTU to SFSS.
  • Certain published resources that were once considered as proof by both the FTU and SFSS are now no longer interpreted as being good enough to obtain or honour previous issued letters.
Now that list I just made may seem off topic to this thread, but it's very relevant. To the OP and those reading this I say avoid the letter and contact with the SFSS at all costs. They've shown their hand that they will not honour letters issued by their department and are only using it as a tracking resource of how many antiques are in the country and who the original letter applicant was.

For those about to say "but they can't prove if I sold it" I would highly suggest you learn up on computer forensics. Also you saying that you sold something will never stop a warrant from being issued and used to search the premisses of the original owner.

RCMP SFSS issued antique letters are worthless, and in the case of wilderness carry I'd rather take extra toilet paper into the bush as it's value far exceeds the antique letter, even after use if you know what I'm saying. Learn up on your choice of antique, make your own letter quoted from the law like .41colts, and carry printouts of hard copy published works. All of which carry more value than a letter that is proven to not be honoured by the division that issued it.

Again I say; avoid contact with the SFSS and don't apply for antique letters. They're nothing but a waste of taxpayer resources and a form of tracking the antique (aka backdoor registry).
 
Worked like a charm when I brought a pair of French duelers through the border recently- they did not even need to inspect them. The detailed purchase invoice gave enough info to satisfy. Paying the tax was another matter. Cheers and thanks again.
 
So, how have the newest RCMP lab "interpretations" of the law affected your letter?

Apparently not at all, which is great because I don't want to re-write it for the 5th time, lol.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom