antique status without barrel and cylinder

Not sure but suspect policy would be that you have to at least barrel the gun with something like a .41 cal barrel. Your only sure answer is to the phone the identification technicians

cheers mooncoon
 
I beleive the receiver has to be registered because you can't prove cal. until it's built
 
"...pre 1888...would it make a difference?..." Pre-1898 and yep. Has to be a .41 (Not easy stuff to find.) and you'd have to be able to prove it's manufacturing date. Easier than it sounds. The Bill Cody Museum, Statside, does it for a reasonable fee. $25US, as I recall. Without a barrel or cylinder, it's an old, oddly shaped, paperweight.
"manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson; 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges."
 
Thank guys.
The reason im asking is i have a buddy in the States that has a colt saa with a serial number on the reciever that puts it build date at 1885. It currently has no barrel or cylinder, but everything else. I want to know if i can just buy it and have it shipped like an antique, or have to go through paperwork and CFC up here
 
I recently tried importing barrel-less 12(6) handguns in 9mm. The import was refused on the grounds that the guns were originally prohibited and would be considered such until I had rebarrelled them with longer barrels. I suspect that the CFC will do the same in this case. They will view the firearm as being non antique until the caliber has been changed.
 
This place sells barrels and cylinders in .41 Colt:

http://www.peacemakerspecialists.com/barcyl.html
 
I recently tried importing barrel-less 12(6) handguns in 9mm. The import was refused on the grounds that the guns were originally prohibited and would be considered such until I had rebarrelled them with longer barrels. I suspect that the CFC will do the same in this case. They will view the firearm as being non antique until the caliber has been changed.
It looks like CFC assumes the worst cast scenario until the gun is modified (as in the 9mm case cited above) or rebuilt to comply with the antique regs (as in the SAA frame case). Get the SAA rebuilt to comply with antique regs in the US, then have it shipped to Canada.
 
I recently tried importing barrel-less 12(6) handguns in 9mm. The import was refused on the grounds that the guns were originally prohibited and would be considered such until I had rebarrelled them with longer barrels. I suspect that the CFC will do the same in this case. They will view the firearm as being non antique until the caliber has been changed.

ya im haveing some problems right now not sure exactly whats up to soon to say just yet, but i think guns must be compleat and perscribed antiques before comeing into Canada at least with handguns.
Just cause a few guys got lucky with bringing in just a frame dont meen its AOK.
i should know this week whats up i hope.
 
Back
Top Bottom