Antique Webley .455 ammo?

Dave.S

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
Hi Im in the process of buying an antique webley in .455 Where can I get reloading supplies Brass dies bullet mold ect?What kind of Blackpowder do I need ?Anybody have any .455 reloading info?Bullet size ect.Dave
 
RCBS makes the bullet mould you can order it from buffalo arms. Hornady makes mk-2 brass, but for black powder you want mk-1 brass which is harder to find and is not currently made. Lee makes a set of dies which are cheap you can buy them from higginson. You can buy bullets already cast from OMA.
 
win shooter on CGN casts the best proper 455 HB Bullets about 265 Gr.
I use only his bullets in all my Antiques for 4 or 5 years now.
I find his bullets better than anyone elses.
Hes on Vancouver Island B.C but im sure he can ship elsewhere.
PM him and ask.
 
Does not Lee Precision also make .455 dies?

For brass, you can duplicate the original .476-Enfield-length casing quite easily. Just get .45 Auto Rim brass and thin the rims on a lathe. Presto! Instant .455 Colt brass, which was the same as .476 Enfield brass and is the right length for your chambers.

I'm loading with smokeless, having no problems at all.

And I don't have to wash my brass in boiling water, either.
 
I bought a .455 webley die set (Lee) from Wholesale Sports a few months ago for $40. It's a good set, i like it. Ellwood Epps probably has them too.

Mystic Precision can get .455 Hornady Mark II brass for you, which is made for smokeless powder. Send a PM to mysticprecision, or click on his banner at the top of the page. I've reloaded for half a dozen webleys using Unique powder, which theoretically produces less pressure than black powder.

smellie is correct that a longer case is better for black powder. .45 auto rim or .45 long colt brass can be made to work. .45 auto rim is about impossible to get right now. .45 long colt is easier to find. Both need the rim thinned to fit in an uncut webley .455, and the colt will need the case length shortened as well.

OMA products in BC is the only Canadian maker of proper Round Nose Hollow Base .455" webley bullets that I know of. They are pricey but the only other choice is to cast your own. Some people have reported good results using .454" bullets made for the .45 colt. That would be good because you can get .454" cast bullets for less than half the price of RNHB webley bullets.
 
Last edited:
You likely can even get away with .452 lead bullets. I have had good success with off the shelf lead 45 acp bullets in my Webleys.
 
I had quite a nice .454" Lee mould up until some other nice chap felt that he needed it more than I did.

They shot very nicely in my New Service, also in the Mark VI.
 
Back
Top Bottom