Antique Webley Mk 111: Single action trigger question- Advice needed

RSA1

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Hi,

This question only refers to the 455 MK 111 Webley revolver (or perhaps even the earlier MK 1 and MK11).

On my "Antique" Webley MK111 (I have a letter regarding "Antique" status), the single action trigger setting cocks the hammer and hold it back when the hammer is drawn back, and fires well and accurately from this cocked position. However, if the hammer is pulled back another 2mm past this cocked position, the sear disengages and the trigger jumps forward. When this happens, the trigger does not reset itself into the normal double action position. Is this how the trigger system of the old MK111's worked?

I have tried the trigger on a MK V1, and there it worked as expected, meaning you can pull the hammer back all the way, as far as it will go, and it still stays in the cocked single action position (as does regular, modern Ruger, S&W, Taurus, Astra, Llama, Rossi which I have tried over the years).

I have taken the trigger mechanism apart and inspected these, and none of the metal surfaces show any piece having broken off (= clean polished contact surfaces between sear and hammer) and matching numbers on the trigger and hammer, so no bad fitting replacement parts.

Thank you for expert comments.

RSA1.
 
there should be a flat spring working on the trigger to return it. If it is broken or missing or is the wrong shape, the trigger will not return

cheers mooncoon
 
Hi mooncoon,

Thank you for your input. The trigger is not the problem, it is the Single Action (SA) workings which I am unsure of. All the parts are there, including the flat piece which fits under the mainspring (the leaf spring), and which resets the trigger.

RSA1
 
Called my buddy, he tested his WG and Mk VI. He said that when the trigger was pulled back fully to the rear (from single action) that the trigger moves rearward slightly. When released, the trigger returned to the previous position.

Here is the guts of Mk I and II. Maybe it will help diagnose?

 
Hi CMichaud,

Thank you for the very useful diagram. All I could find thus far were "exploded" drawings of a MKV1, and it differs significantly from what I see inside my MK111. This is the closest relative to my Webley and even better in lay-out than the others I have seen, especially with reference to the side-on view of the screws and some other parts (e.g. part #16 and #18). Thank you once again.

Yes, as your friend confirmed, the MKV1 works as described above, based on the one I handled. Hopefully another CGN'er will have a MK111 and can give a specific answer.

Regards,
RSA1
 
Last edited:
Hi its not a half #### model is it ? if it is it will have a spur on the back of the trigger and a cross pin behind the trigger thru the frame ?
Most MKIIIs are just like MKIs or MKIIs inside if yours is a normal MKIII and you can pull the hammer past the full #### something is not right.
you need to take it to a gun smith. i never herd of anyone haveing this problem with MKIIIs unless they were half #### models.
If its a half #### model there will be a cross pin holding in a sear right behind the trigger.
Post a picture or two of the gun maby if your not sure half #### models are very rare and there actions tend to have trobles thats why they only made like 900 of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom