MiltonBradly
CGN Regular
- Location
- Hamilton ON
Hey all,
After a long delay I'm back to working on my .40 flintlock project... I have the stock roughed out, barrel and lock inlet, touch hole liner installed, ram rod hole drilled and I am half way through fabrication a two piece breach plug/tang (for ease of barrel removal).
As it stands I have the barrel at a stage where I could proof test it any time I want. Its a Green Mountain 36" .40cal 13/16" straight octagon barrel with a TOTW white lightning touch hole and a breach plug I have turned/milled from a Grade 8 5/8"-18 bolt. I have no doubt the barrel is sound but I need to proof my instalation job on the touch hole/breach plug...
I can find references to proof tests charges for .45 - .60 cal both single and double loaded and other references to 150% charges but haven't found any specifics for .40 cal barrels and would like some confirmation before I pack in a big charge stopped up with multiple balls and touch it off with a string pull while hiding behind a tree...
Can anyone shed some light on how to establish a "safe" proof load for my application?
Thanks
MB
After a long delay I'm back to working on my .40 flintlock project... I have the stock roughed out, barrel and lock inlet, touch hole liner installed, ram rod hole drilled and I am half way through fabrication a two piece breach plug/tang (for ease of barrel removal).
As it stands I have the barrel at a stage where I could proof test it any time I want. Its a Green Mountain 36" .40cal 13/16" straight octagon barrel with a TOTW white lightning touch hole and a breach plug I have turned/milled from a Grade 8 5/8"-18 bolt. I have no doubt the barrel is sound but I need to proof my instalation job on the touch hole/breach plug...
I can find references to proof tests charges for .45 - .60 cal both single and double loaded and other references to 150% charges but haven't found any specifics for .40 cal barrels and would like some confirmation before I pack in a big charge stopped up with multiple balls and touch it off with a string pull while hiding behind a tree...
Can anyone shed some light on how to establish a "safe" proof load for my application?
Thanks
MB


















































