Any In Stock Lyman Caplocks ?

WolfyW

Regular
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Southern Canada
Thinking of the Lyman Deerstalker caplock in .50 cal. A certain big box store never seems to have anything in stock. Wondering if any gunnutz have seen this rifle on the shelf in RIGHT hand ???
 
Thanks, Golden. Looked at their site, too, the day before. Just not the price I prefer, compared to the unnamed Canadian big box retailer beginning with an "L" that habitually fails to stock what people want.
I put up a WTB post on another website looking for used. A couple of responses I'm pursuing at the moment...
 
I was in WSS Winnipeg yesterday. They had at least one Trade Rifle and one Deerstalker on display...pretty sure they were percussion models. When I was looking for the Williams receiver sight for my Deerstalker last year, WSS had several of them in stock as well.

Forget about LeBaron. It's easy to beat everyone else's price on merchandise you don't have in stock.
 
Nothing wrong with a .54 (I have 4).
But unless you cast your own balls/conicals you might be hurt'n as these may be harder to find than your .50 cal projectiles.
Shooters Choice in Waterloo has a good selection of bp accoutrements.
 
Did you get the fast-twist rifling or the 1-in-48? I've had both, and still have the fast-twist short-barrel model. They are all good shooters.
 
1:48 twist, the Deerstalker model. I like brass furniture and a more trad. butt stalk, but the recoil pad on this model may makes it more palatable if my daughter wants to shoot.
My eyes aren't getting any younger, so the fiber optic sights won't hurt. Not to mention for low-light hunting conditions. Now I just need Mr. Courier to get here...
I tried a muzzy almost 5 years ago, but the downturn prevented me from buying new toys for awhile. I like the fact that if you want to load them with 40 grains of powder, 50 grains, or 100 grains you can just do that on the spot and then shoot.
 
The Deerstalker is the one I have as well. I think this version is now discontinued...shorter, half-round/half-octagon fast-twist barrel. The one you have is the original version, which I wish I had kept as well.

The beauty of your version is that it is very accurate with some hunting loads (I had great results with the Lymans Great Plains Bullet), but you can also load it way down with light powder charges and get good accuracy with round balls. Lyman also makes a nice rear tang aperture sight that fits that gun...Wholesale usually has them in stock.
 
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Deerstalker. Must have read my mind...the aperture is the next thing on my checklist.
Had the local shop make me indestructible ramrod this week, too. Another necessary expense.
 
Back
Top Bottom