Any Martini Henry Gurus Here...?

One Lung Wonder

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Aaaaaadmontin AB
These guns annoy me. I simply don't know what to make of them. I've seen some spectacular builds done on this action and wonder: who's doing this? Whoever it is - the guy knows what he's doing!

Then I've seen others in archaic 455/577 or some damned thing that fires a brass 'cartridge' that looks like it has gone through a blender set on frappe! Often they look like boat anchors and yet they fetch top dollar. Can anybody explain this rifle and niche market to me? I wouldn't mind a custom rebuild but wouldn't even know how to approach the project or who would do the work? I am not a gunsmith and have considered other actions for a build too - and have thought about grabbing one of those old rolling blocks off Tradex for a build?

Have any of you guys been through the process? Can you make any recommendations for a non-gunsmith on whether this is feasible or not?
 
Is this for your friends rebuild that started as a snider and became a Martini?

With no knowledge of the cartridge you wish to chamber it for, its pretty pointless to make any recommendations. You can make a pretty decent varminter out of a military martini but the firing pin needs to be bushed unless its an enfield, in which case the works been done for you. Its a shame more military martinis arent done up as Peabody target rifles, they look quite nice. Fast lock time, self cocking, much stronger then a rolling rolling block, and the extractor is very strong. Youl come across lots of old rolling blocks with busted extractors, rarely so with a martini. The bell crank extractor they used is massive and very stout.

Niche market? I consider them one of the best military single shots made as far as actual performance goes. Beats the rolling block, sharps and trapdoor by a mile when it comes to speed of loading/firing and general strength. They were made to shoot, alot.

If you're going to try the Martini route, if you start with a Martini Enfield you have an action thats been nitro proofed, the firing pins bushed (they dovetail a peice of steel across the face) and the current extractor is set up so you can use it for 40-50 SS, 40-60 Maynard, 40-70 SS. Treebone makes a nice pistol grip stock for is but the cost would be high with the dollar in the tank. The enfield actions come up fairly reasonable as the barrel is usually a sewer pipe, you have to keep an eye out for them.

You're not going to save any money at all doing a "custom build" on a swede roller. Pedersoli makes very nice ones and with the dollar in the tank, things like reamers and barrels are quite pricey right now. I've gone the custom roller route, I'l never do it again, its not worth the money or the time. If you want a BPCR, get a pedersoli John Bodine and it will shoot with the best of them.

I suggest you take a drive down to Warburg (just west of you) and talk to Roy at R&T gunsmith, he can fix you up with what you need. His neighboor did fine stock work, or at least he did when I was there.
 
Last edited:
Well thanks, Hick! I know where Warburg is! It makes for a wonderful motorcycle ride in the summer... where are you located these days? Did you used to live out that way?

I used to live in Calmar, and worked as a machinist in Leduc. Moved back to Van Isle to get an engineering degree though, so Itl be a few years before I get back to Edmonton.......if there's anything to come back to after Notley has her way.

I know Roy rebarreled one of those God aweful martini enfield pistols to 50-70, because I gave him the barrel for it, he's a pretty capable guy. I've seen some real nice guns entrusted to him to fix. I know of one other that was done up in 45-70 but it was still a work in progress as he hadn't reblued it yet. But it was a real nice number stocked in myrtle wood by his neighbor.

You might wanna phone ahead before you head down, as he's fairly busy sometimes with family obligations ect. I don't have his card on me but Roy Kruninger in the Warburg phone book should pop up.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom