Any Of You Fellas Ever Build A BPCR Gun?

One Lung Wonder

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Aaaaaadmontin AB
Years back I ran into a nice old gent in some gun shop or other that had a rolling block BPCR - and I'll be darned if that gun wasn't one of the prettiest guns I ever saw (and for the record I prefer the look of the Sharps and Winchester 1885's).

In any event he bought some old rolling block surplus junker, scrapped everything but the action - and slowly put together a gun with serviceable (but not overly fancy) wood...and a matte finished, half round/half octagonal barrel.

Are there any specialists in Canada that can lead a rookie through that build process? What are the economics of it? Your two cents is appreciated!
 
Unless you want to spend around the exact same amount of money as it costs to buy a brand new, perfectly serviceable pedersoli rolling block I'd advise against, unless you want something special that is.

My own started as an 8mm swede roller from trade ex 400 bucks I believe (was in almost new shape). 150 bucks for a 40 cal octogon barrel, 110 bucks for a 40-60 Maynard reamer, 80 dollars for the ch4d dies, 20 bucks for the headspace gauge and 150 bucks for the wood. MVA sights were 450 bucks I believe. I did the machining myself but a friend did the stock and it turned out pretty nice. You have to be able to duplicate the square thread and need a milling machine for the radius at the bottom of the barrel to clear the rolling block, and weld and extension onto the extractor.

It shot well, but it still had the old military trigger and changing the spring helped a lot. I was never satisfied with it because frankly, I have a Shiloh sharps with a DST and that swede roller would never hold a candle to it. The stock on the roller wasn't that pleasing to the eye due to the drop at the wrist and it was straight, I wish I tried bending the trigger guard into a pistol grip, it would have made a huge difference in looks and handling. Also wish I milled flats onto the receiver ring but it was pretty thin as it was.

And in the end, I went back to the 45-70 Shiloh. pedersoli makes the John bodine with DST that frankly comes very close in price if you put a value on your time at half of minimum wage. If I were to do it again I'd start with a martini enfield action, keep the same caliber or go 40-70 SS, get a pistol grip stock blank from Treebone and have something that's easier to stock, fit a barrel to, better trigger and looks different like the Peabody "What Cheer".

Yeah I know it doesn't have a hammer, but if it's just a range toy who cares?

Would really like to tinker with a high wall action, but their cost prohibits that.

I saw probably a dozen such roller conversions at a gun show a year later, some better some worse, that were being sold for 6-800 bucks. I should have just tinkered with one of those. In the end you put a lot of money into something that frankly leaves a lot to be desired unless you put considerable money into it, especially now if your buying your trimmings from the states (I did this with the dollar at par) And pedersoli makes very nice rolling blocks.

Only roller conservation I would consider again would be a Remington #5 action with a new 7mm barrel or maybe a 303 tube. Do it up with a lighter weight octagon barrel 24 inches and an A5 scope to make a sharp little hunting rifle. I have the gun for it but it wears it's full military dress and came with the bayonet and it's almost a shame to mess with it.
 
Last edited:
I have a couple of projects on the go now. One started with a Ruger #1 in .22-.250 with a ruined barrel. Installed a Ron Smith barrel, chambered it in .45-70. Sights are a tall version of the old Australian Central. The other is based on a Guedes action; .45-70 as well.
 
What are you looking to do with it?

I was kinda sorta looking to scratch an itch, Short Knife. I thought I might want something special and maybe a little different from the norm. I wanted something that would get me on the firing line of the BPCR shoot. I don't care if I win medals or not, but I would like to compete and share in the camaraderie and fun of events like that. Wouldn't mind taking a small whitetail with one too, before I shuffle off this mortal coil...:)

Been looking at the Shiloh rifles and loving them...but guns like that aren't for turkey shooters like me I guess. Hick - thanks for that detailed explanation. If I had your smarts and experience with this I might go ahead and try it but I think maybe you're right...and I will have to get by with Pedersoli. Thanks for the time you put into that - and if you have any pics of your projects I would love to see them!
 
I have rebarreled a few single shots and sleeved the bore on a Sharp's. I could afford to do it only because I was able to obtain (with 2 exceptions of new barrels) good condition second hand barrels and because I have a metal lathe for threading and fitting the barrels and choose to use home made D bit chambering reamers. Things like extractors can be extended by silver soldering or made new from a heat treatable steel like drill rod and in both cases you need a cutting torch to provide enough heat. The bottom line is that unless you have a metal lathe and the knowledge to use it, it is not practical to start from an action and go from there to a finished gun. My guns are not as accurate as well made commercial guns nor as accurate as those made by a skilled commercial gunsmith, but they work for me and I enjoy shooting them. One of the more enjoyable projects was a trapdoor Springfield rebarreled to 38-55. No recoil and relatively inexpensive to shoot.
Almost forgot, in comparison with Hickstick_10's expense breakdown, a new barrel runs around $300 (prior to the current dollar drop) a second hand one in good condition from $75 to $200, the action can range anywhere from $200 to $500 and by buying plain North American walnut by the 10 foot long plank, the stock runs $25 to $50 depending on shape and length. Reamers, springs, screws, extractors and so forth I make from drill rod (about $10 or $15 for a 3 foot length of 3/8" rod). Sights are at least $100 depending on how elaborate you go. Total cost for mid range components would run $600 to $700 and for higher end components, around $1000 or a bit more. Bottom line is that you are probably better off to buy a gun in good condition second hand in a gun show.

cheers mooncoon
 
Built the case a number of years ago, for an original Hi-wall.
Now holds the home-made rifle.
As mentioned, if you have the equipment, time, and experience, it is possible
 
Now in the middle of a 38-55 build on an original 1885 Hi Wall. Ron Smith is making and will install the heavy barrel. I bought the partially shaped fancy Claro walnut stocks from Pecatonica and will fit, checker and finish them myself. Track of the Wolf has a checkered steel butt plate. By the time it is together I will have the same $$ as I paid two years ago for my new Winchester 1885 made by Miroku - now soon to be for sale. Why bother? I wanted a longer and heavier barrel for BPCR and this will be MINE. I salvaged my after-market MVA sights off the Miroku for the new build so won't have to buy them again.
 
Now in the middle of a 38-55 build on an original 1885 Hi Wall. Ron Smith is making and will install the heavy barrel.

why not go for 38-56 ; more powder and with a faster twist barrel, you can shoot 300 grain bullets for more oomph on the rams. Make the shells from 45-70 shells necked down

cheers mooncoon
 
Now in the middle of a 38-55 build on an original 1885 Hi Wall. Ron Smith is making and will install the heavy barrel. I bought the partially shaped fancy Claro walnut stocks from Pecatonica and will fit, checker and finish them myself. Track of the Wolf has a checkered steel butt plate. By the time it is together I will have the same $$ as I paid two years ago for my new Winchester 1885 made by Miroku - now soon to be for sale. Why bother? I wanted a longer and heavier barrel for BPCR and this will be MINE. I salvaged my after-market MVA sights off the Miroku for the new build so won't have to buy them again.

Does that 1885 have the round barrel, Flint? What would you be asking for it? I would love one of those, with a half round/half octagonal barrel...maybe with the long or mid-range sights...

Ron Smith is still making barrels? I thought he had quit...
 
Back
Top Bottom