Any reviews of the TM22 12" ?

homslice

Regular
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I'm considering getting a Derya TM22 not sure as to the barrel length. A shorter barrel would help my daughter to balance while she is shooting it.
Any reviews on it from someone who has tried one?
 
The TM22 in general is pretty reliable and is a decent platform regardless of barrel length.


However. If it's your daughter's first time, I would actually specifically suggest something with a standard length barrel. For new shooters, muzzle control is far easier to be aware of when the barrel is longer. I'd also suggest manual action is safer for new shooters. Just my $0.02.
 
I'm considering getting a Derya TM22 not sure as to the barrel length. A shorter barrel would help my daughter to balance while she is shooting it.
Any reviews on it from someone who has tried one?
I’ve got five TM-22’s in various configurations.

My 8 year old likes the 12” the best. He likes compact rifles more than longer ones and will often remark positively “Oh! That’s so short!”

He’s an SBR aficionado.
 
Last edited:
I’ve got five TM-22’s in various configurations.

My 8 year old likes the 12” the best. He likes compact rifles more than longer ones and will often remark positively “Oh! That’s so short!”

He’s an SBR aficionado.

He doesn’t shoot anything without me at arms length, while I’m controlling everything.

His two older sisters can be trusted to shoot safely themselves but not to supervise him - I wouldn’t want to know how many times they’ve heard “finger off the trigger! Safe direction!” Until they got it. Now it’s second nature and if they pick up a toy gun, water pistol, or hand drill, their finger is off the trigger.
Thank you for the response.
I was not asking should I get my 10 year old a gun to shoot, but if the TM22 12" was any good.
Is the reliability good?
I have drummed into my kids from 4 years and on about gun safety. They are very conscious about trigger control etc.
 
Thank you for the response.
I was not asking should I get my 10 year old a gun to shoot, but if the TM22 12" was any good.
Is the reliability good?
I have drummed into my kids from 4 years and on about gun safety. They are very conscious about trigger control etc.
Oh yeah sorry. I get a bit rambling sometimes.

I actually hadn’t meant to answer the hypothetical of if you should get a 10 year old a gun to shoot… I just launched into my usual story telling. 🤦

Yeah, reliability is good on all of them. Disassembly isn’t so easy but it’s not awful.
 
I'm considering getting a Derya TM22 not sure as to the barrel length. A shorter barrel would help my daughter to balance while she is shooting it.
Any reviews on it from someone who has tried one?

It's literally just 6" less barrel and a shorter handguard. There's not a lot to say.

It's probably not any lighter than my 18" Feather due to the aluminum receiver but the weight is more rearward.
 
I'm considering getting a Derya TM22 not sure as to the barrel length. A shorter barrel would help my daughter to balance while she is shooting it.
Any reviews on it from someone who has tried one?

So I weighed my Feather and the shorty. The Feather had the carry handle and front sight removed. Both rifles had the same style stock and a Holosun red dot installed.

The Feather came in at 4 lb 11 oz, and the shorty at 5 lb 6 oz.

I was surprised at how much lighter the Feather was with the longer barrel.

I may see if I can swap the the 12" into the Feather. That would be the lightest option.
 
Been shooting buddies for a while now..
Took a couple mags to break in a feed reliably , and like other 22 lr semiautomatic its hates certan types.
The short lenght of pull with the telescopic stock would be good for little ones.
Surprisingly accurate., and fun
 
Some reviews out there says the TM22 jams every 20 rounds ish. Just wondering if any of you also experience this?
It depends on the ammo used. I find that my Derya doesn't like CCI standard. There are a few issues with the Derya's athat need to be addressed. the first thing I would do if you do buy one is the Buffer tube fix, AKA the loonie fix. The rubber spacer behind the teflon bolt stop gets cut by the buffer tube and hammers everthing back eventually shearing your charging handle.
 
If weight is a big concern, grab one of the Derya Feather 12" models. SFRC has them right now and I'm sure they'll have another sitewide sale very soon. Same 12" barrel but with a polymer receiver instead of aluminum. That's as light as it gets. The Feather is tons of fun too.

The carry handles slides off and underneath is a Picatinny rail just like on the aluminum version. The A2 sight on it is great if you want to toss a rear flip up sight and red dot on it. I already have the 18-in barrel version but the 12" is going to be my next purchase from SFRC.

Here's a picture of it without the carry handle. This is from FOC's website.

1__19639.jpg
 
Some reviews out there says the TM22 jams every 20 rounds ish. Just wondering if any of you also experience this?
I have three currently and had three others prior to that and not one of them had any issues. I have a video of mag dumping two 25 round mags and not a single hiccup.
 
is the recoil buffer tube fixed now at the factory? These issues have been discussed for the past few years now I would expect Derya to fix this at the factory by now so we don't have to do the fix ourselves. I just picked up Derya TM22 pro 12" today, looks cool, feels solid and relatively heavy which I like. Just don't know if I need to disassemble the tube to do the metal disc fix to the recoil buffer. Any comments on this?
 
is the recoil buffer tube fixed now at the factory? These issues have been discussed for the past few years now I would expect Derya to fix this at the factory by now so we don't have to do the fix ourselves. I just picked up Derya TM22 pro 12" today, looks cool, feels solid and relatively heavy which I like. Just don't know if I need to disassemble the tube to do the metal disc fix to the recoil buffer. Any comments on this?
I picked up the 16” pro a couple months ago, and had to add a washer. Pretty simple to do. I also had to disassemblelube and polish the disconnector is was dragging on the receiver not allowing trigger to reset. Surprisingly accurate
 
Yes, confirmed, my new to me 12" pro still had the rubber disc in contact directly with the sharp edge of the tube. Just happened to have a $2 coin in my pocket, it fit perfectly and it was very easy to reassemble. But still something to keep in mind when getting Derya TM22.
 
Back
Top Bottom