Anybody else have a summer project lined up?

Killer Kanuck

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Location
PEI
This just arrived the other day.

04729.JPG


04817.JPG


04920.JPG


05023.JPG



Definitely in need of a lot of TLC, but should be fun to pick at this summer. It's currently 54 caliber percussion, but I'm contemplating having it converted to 50/70. Anybody here ever convert a percussion Sharps to cartridge? Just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. :D
 
I didn't do the work, it was an old build, but I did have one in .50-70. Unfortunately, it was hugely over-bored and wouldn't shoot worth a damn and back then I didn't know enough to figure things out so I sold it. Not one of my better moves. That was thirty years ago and I was in school and poor(er). Sure wish I had it now.
 
. It's currently 54 caliber percussion, but I'm contemplating having it converted to 50/70. Anybody here ever convert a percussion Sharps to cartridge? Just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. :D

What is the bore like? If it is reasonably good, why not make a wildcat. Not sure if you could fit the slug into a 348 case but might be worth looking into. Slug your bore to confirm what the dimensions are; they may be small than 54.

Sharps1b.jpg


Sharps1b01.jpg


As to being a basket case, far from it. The one above is a project from several years ago. The bore was trash so I sleeved it. I haven't decided yet what this summer's project will be. I am still puttering away getting a Robert's conversion of a Springfield to shoot. Turns out the action is very fussy about which lock will fit it so I am currently making a lock for the gun. I have an 1851 tape priming (Springfield) lock and a presumably P53 lock but made by Colt and neither fits the action. I guess it only accepts a P53 Springfield lock

cheers mooncoon
 
Hey Nice gun.
I have one in 50 70 i need to get finished. its getting there.
Sharps are great rifles.

P1010015_45.jpg
 
Last edited:
The bore is actually not too bad Moncoon. I'll have to see if I can find an appropraitely sized soft cast bullet and slug the bore. I have an Armisport Sharps on the way (the price was right and, doesn't everybody need a 45-110 :D ) so I'll be able to see what modern parts are close enough to make fit, and what parts I'll have to hunt down originals for.
 
As to summer projects, I am tackling a Perkins 13 gauge double percussion shotgun. It's a London gun, rib marked "London Fine Twist", very attractive patterns. The rib is lifting at the breech end, metal is proud everywhere, bores are nicely pitted, locks are on Van Isle, where a great gentleman from this board took on the job of putting the hammers back on their extensions tightly, new or repaired tumbler and odds and ends. Also, the barrels are quite loose in the barrel channels, don't know yet how I'm going to attack that problem. I'll probably use home made cutler's resin to bed them. Lots of minor cracking inside, but no big deal to fix that. Cosmetically the wood is quite nice.

And for advice, if I were to choose a service load of 60 grs FF and one oz, what would be a proper proof load?
 
Back
Top Bottom