Anybody here do Civil War Reenacting?

1861

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Ontario
I plan to be in Otterville,Ontario next month,as part of a Confederate Artillery crew,
might join the 21st Mississippi Infantry group as well.I've got a Loyalist Arms,M1842
Springfield smoothbore.
 
First I heard of anything like this in Ontario.
If I can find Otterville, I'll try to make it, to take a look.:)

Googled it, sounds interesting and thanks for sharing.
 
Last edited:
A great book about the war is,"The Real Lincoln"...A New Look at Abraham Lincoln,His Agenda,and
an Unnecessary War",by Thomas J. DiLorenzo.
 
We're CANADIANS! We should be re-enacting the war of 1812! :D

Actually,the 3-pounder that we're using,is the one we normally use for 1812 reenacting.:D
Also,there were 50,000 Canadians in the real War Between the States.War of 1812 heroine
Laura Secord,had a nephew,Dr.Solomon Secord,who was a surgeon with the 20th Georgia
Infantry Reg't.His monument is in Kincardine,Ontario.
Niagara Falls,Ontario,was a major Confederate centre for planning raids on the Union.I think
the St.Alban's raid was planned there.Jefferson Davis,and many former Confederate officers
stayed in Canada for a time(Toronto and Niagara),after the war.
The 10th Louisiana Infantry was known as "Lee's Foreign Legion",and had Canadians,as well
as many other foreign nationals in it's ranks.
 
Last edited:
1861, it goes farther than "just" the Canadians fighting in the American Civil War. Some years back I took a trip to France and Scotland. While in Stirling or Edinburgh I found a monument in one of the graveyards to a number of Scots that fought and died in the Civil War. It was a bit of an eyebrow raiser to find that a group of Scots had found the ACW enough of a worthy cause to journey across the Atlantic to fight in the ACW.
 
We're CANADIANS! We should be re-enacting the war of 1812! :D

Agreed....check out Wassaga beach....they have a great re-enactment during the summer. I used to do Civil war stuff back in the early 80s around Newmarket (York Region)....back when you could carry a black powder rifle in parades ...."OMG!!!...imagine that?....LOL..... But I think that bunch of guys are gone now or packed it in ? Would love to see more black powder stuff in Ontario.
 
1861, it goes farther than "just" the Canadians fighting in the American Civil War. Some years back I took a trip to France and Scotland. While in Stirling or Edinburgh I found a monument in one of the graveyards to a number of Scots that fought and died in the Civil War. It was a bit of an eyebrow raiser to find that a group of Scots had found the ACW enough of a worthy cause to journey across the Atlantic to fight in the ACW.

The "worthy cause" was the promise of land or citizenship and a chance to get out of Scotland or whatever festering hole they were in athe time in Europe.
 
I plan to be in Otterville,Ontario next month,as part of a Confederate Artillery crew,
might join the 21st Mississippi Infantry group as well.I've got a Loyalist Arms,M1842
Springfield smoothbore.

Hey, thanks for posting this 1861. I have always had a mild interest in the Civil War, but when we visited Gettysburg last year it really lit a fire for me. I have since been back once, on the 150th anniversary of the Second Day, and we toured Antietam a couple of weeks ago. I had the opportunity to hike the Cornfield, the Bloody Lane, and Burnside's Bridge as well as doing the auto tour and visitors center.

I just phoned one of the contact people in Otterville and she tells me this has been a go for ten years. I only live about 40 minutes away and this is the first I heard of it. We plan to arrive around noon on Saturday to take in the battle re-enactment a 2 pm and then hang around for the lantern walk at 7. Thanks again for the heads up!
 
Poor weather led to a lower turnout of re-enactors and spectators, but it was definitly worth visiting nonetheless. The participants were great to talk to, and when I asked a couple of them about their rifles they couldn't put them in my hands any faster. I got to handle an original 1853 three-band Enfield over in the Confederate camp and a beautiful reproduction 1861 Springfield over at the Union side. Although the weather led to cancelling the battle re-enactment, they did perform some drill and conducted a cannon demonstration. Good people. They are at it again today with the battle re-enactment scheduled for 1 pm.

Thanks again for the heads up, 1861.




 
Last edited:
Stopped Civil War reenacting about 10 years ago, had been to events throughout the 90s in the New England states, Viriginia, the Carolinas and as far south as Mississippi. Did the 135th Antietam and Gettysburg reenactments; awesome sights and sounds!!! Marched down 5th Ave in full gear with the Irish Regiment for NYC's St Patrick's Day parade in '97. Even showed-up as a small speck in a battle scene in the movie "Gods and Generals". Now my 3 uniforms and gear sit in a steam trunk unused; a shame really, but reenacting takes a lot of time and $$$ when travelling in the US (and I didn't have kids then!). Met some awesome people both here and south of the border, though, and I still take my M1861 Springfield to the range from time to time... so not all is lost!
 
Back
Top Bottom