Anyone bring a modern muzzle loading flintlock over the border in person?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I'm thinking about getting one shipped to the US due to a great bargain (they won't ship to Canada) and bringing it over myself. I'm 99.9999% certain there should be no issue with this as flintlocks are "non-guns" the same as antiques in both countries.

What I wonder about is how smooth would it be with the CBSA, as well as those pre-border checks in the US. My friend got one of those recently and they x-rayed his car with this mobile thing built onto an SUV. Not that I would be hiding it, but it just might not go so well to say "yeah, sure, I got a gun in my trunk" to those guys.
 
I have crossed many times with flinters and antiques.

(Ontario-Niagara crossings)

I have had NO serious problems so far.

Once bringing a flinter, I was told that it had to be less than .50 or it had to be registered.
I politely asked them to check with their supervisor.
Paid my PST&GST and I was on my way.

I think the main problem lies with the level of education of the firearms laws within each CBSA personnel at any given time.

In most cases they where more concerned with collecting the tax.

As far as the U.S. side was concerned, flinters and antiques are non firearms to them.

I do trigger lock and case them when I cross.

I will add that I have flown with antiques properely cased with SOUTHWEST Airlines.
We have always been treated with total respect by them.
 
I agree Cigar man. The guards tend to ask for the paper cards etc... lol and then they run it through and find out you do not need any for a flinter. They seem to shudder every time and pass us through lol... by the way going south they ask if you have any firearms. When we say yes...brown Bess muskets (flintlocks) 7 out of ten say "no I mean real firearms" lmao
 
Get it shipped to a guy who deals in muzzle loaders and pay him to forward it on to you. Anyone in the USA that is upstanding has enough Canuck customers to know the drill. Pick someone that has supplies/accruements that you need like patches, balls, starters, horns etc and pack it all together to save shipping. Or pick someone that is known for doing a good job tuning locks, Have it sent to him get her tuned up and sent on to you.

Cheaper then spending the day in a customs line.

Or just educate the seller.
 
Anyone do this in BC/Washington? I just found out Washington treats modern blackpowder guns the same as all modern guns, meaning it would need to go to an FFL and I probably cannot be in possession of it in the USA.
 
Get it shipped to a guy who deals in muzzle loaders and pay him to forward it on to you. Anyone in the USA that is upstanding has enough Canuck customers to know the drill. Pick someone that has supplies/accruements that you need like patches, balls, starters, horns etc and pack it all together to save shipping. Or pick someone that is known for doing a good job tuning locks, Have it sent to him get her tuned up and sent on to you.

That seems like a good idea.

I bought a Caywood flintlock smoothie from TOTW and had it shipped up here to me with no trouble. I have driven it back and forth across the border 4 times for turkey hunts and have never had any trouble at all with either the U.S. or Canadian border. Neither side considers it a firearm.
 
Back
Top Bottom