Anyone clocked Czech 7.62x39 ammo out of SKS?

IM_Lugger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
Location
Hamilton
I have a crate of '92 Czech ammo and was wondering what the velocity was out of an SKS.

Also what's the weight of the bullet?
 
Most of the Czech surplus is advertised as 127gr. but I see in some ads it's advertised as 123gr. I'd pull one and weigh it but my Lee scale only goes to 110 gr's. The Czech's liked to be a little different (VZ58 vs AK47) so I would bet on 127gr's. And I will try to chrony some this summer.
 
I just pulled one 1993 version. Looks like ball powder 24.5grs, without cutting bullet it appears to be mild steel jacket with gilded layer, steel core penetrator, 123grs. I'm positive there is lead surrounding that steel core to keep the weight for a short bullet

img5875.jpg
 
I've chronied (and disassembled) bullets from several lots of it. I've only found two types so far (both have about a 123 to 125 grain bullet in it). Some has ball powder in it, and it was hotter -- up around 2440FPS (I wasn't sure of origin/date of this stuff, but by description above, it was probably the 1990-something manufacture). The other stuff (from an old-ish crate of Czech) has some kind of fairly fine stick powder in it, and it's not so hot -- down around 2360FPS.

Both flavours were remarkably consistent for velocity (IMHO) for "cheap junky military ammo".
 
I have a case of 1973 made Czech silver tip ammo. Any idea the bullet weight/make/velocities of this? I've found it quite reliable with a very distinct scent to it, quite a bit more "biting" on the palate than Russian or Bulgarian.
 
I have a case of 1973 made Czech silver tip ammo. Any idea the bullet weight/make/velocities of this? I've found it quite reliable with a very distinct scent to it, quite a bit more "biting" on the palate than Russian or Bulgarian.

Are you referring to the 54R Czech ammo? If so, 148 gr.
 
Oh how silly of me. Sorry. No. It's regular jacket wash, just made in 1973. Older case?

'73's not old. I had a case of '59 and it all worked just fine.

Your '73 is no different than any other year of the M43 Czech ball. There may be some difference in colour of the case and bullet, but it's not significant.

I imagine you found out but Czech "silvertip" generally refers to the silver painted bullet tip on Czech-made 7.62x54R 148 gr. ball.
 
In Ontario, I think SFRC and TradeEx have the '93 right now. Maybe Epps does, too. I've only ever seen the one case of '59
 
Back
Top Bottom