anyone here have a .30RF?

rocklin

Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Anyone here have a .30 RF?. Im going to a gunshow in a few weeks and might pick one of these up along with a .38RF. I have reloadable rounds for .32 and .38RF but I want to make my own rounds for a .30.

anyone here know what the chamber and bore dimensions of the .30 RF are?, I am trying to see if the .27 hilti shell with thin brass/copper tube + buckshot ball can fit in the cylinder.
 
I have played with the Sharps' 4-barrel in this chambering but have never owned one. Nice toy. Not terribly impressive but I'm not gonna stand in front of one, either!

COTW-6 gives the following:

Rim: .346 Short, .340 Long

Base: .292 Short, .288 Long, cases for both were STRAIGHT, no taper at all

Length: .515 Short, .613 Long

Bullet: .290 to .295 outside lubed theoretical, measured specimens .286 Short, .288 Long

Charge would be 6 or 7 grains for the Short, Long might be another grain.

MOST old-time guns handled both rounds interchangeably. Came out about 1873, gone in 1920.

Hope this helps.
 
Thank you for the information. do you happen to know of a source for lead round balls that would be the proper size?
 
American-made Number 1 Buck or Canadian-made SG both are .30".

Comes in 5-pound bags, which will keep you going for a LOOOOONG time.

I buy the occasional bag of 000 Buck for use in my Lee-Enfield Musket. It is .36" diameter and so might be good to keep in mind for a .38RF.

The problem is that there also is a .75" Musket not too far from here, so my carefully-hoarded Musket balls...... get pirated.

Any good shooting shop should have the stuff. I know Cabela's and WSS usually have it...... or can get it fast.

Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top Bottom