Anyone here shoot BP cannons ?

4b1t

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Ran into a gentleman who wants to fire his BP repro 6 pounder cannon. Apparently they are made in South Bend Indiana, it is beautiful, weighs about 600 pounds.

He wants to fire salutes and such on Canada Day etc.

I assume he will need fairly coarse BP ? Or will FFg or something do ?

Looking for info/advice/load data/techniques/ BP sources from members who play with these things.
 
.
Google "Artilleryman.com" and check out the Safety Rules.

That tube (barrel to the uninitiated) was probably made by South Bend Replicas. For firing blank rounds and salutes, you can use FG powder but it is best to use Cannon Grade powder for firing projectiles.


Be careful when firing blanks as you should point the Gun only at an open area and NEVER let anyone stand in front of it as small pieces of unburnt powder, wadding and such can and will cause injuries.

SPONGE THE BARREL BETWEEN SHOTS. Make up a seperate loading rammer with a "U" shaped end so that the loader can stand to the side of and behind the muzzle when loading and not in front of it. At the same time of sponging and loading, a person with a leather "Thumbstall" MUST block off the vent hole tightly so no air can enter the bore and possibly cause ignition of the charge while it is being loaded. RAM THE CHARGE firmly to the back of the bore, and put a wad in to hold the powder charge in place. (Also, must use a wad if a loud noise is desired.) If a projectile is going to be used, make sure the projectile is up against the wad and powder charge. If newspaper is used for wadding, it should be soaked in a potassium nitrate (saltpetre) solution and dried so that it burns up and is consumed when fired.

If you can find a copy of "Round Shot and Rammers," buy it. It gives a lot of information on muzzle loading artillery in North America, particularly the American Civil War period.
.
 
Last edited:
Thanks,

I'll pass on the info/website.

I did a quick search and can source FG in Canada, but the "Cannon Grade" GOEX does not seem to be available North of the border.
 
Thanks,

I'll pass on the info/website.

I did a quick search and can source FG in Canada, but the "Cannon Grade" GOEX does not seem to be available North of the border.

The historic reeanacting crowd must have their sources for black powder ...
 
I have seen cannon grade powder used by a re-enactment group while testing their cannon here in Alberta (last summer) but don'tknow where they got it. It is very course, almost the same consistency as shattered tempered glass ( the only thing I can think of at the moment to compare it to.
They used green grass as a wad material, however contrary to Buffdogs post I have read numerous times in the Artilleryman magazine that they recomend no wadding for artillery demonstrations, they claim you will get enough noise without it. I can't confirm their advise as Ive never done it ( I'm still in the process of building my cannon, 1.6" bore, 34" long).
The cannon I saw the re-enactors using was probably 4 ft long with a 2 or 2.5" bore and they were using 3 oz (started with 1.5 but settled on 3 as still being safe) of cannon grade with grass wadding, sure enough was loud enough for display's that day. Recoil was very evident at 3 oz of powder. Cannon & table it was tied to did a complete backflip on one of the shots.

My cannon will be a loose 1/2 scale replica of a civil war era smooth-bore 10 lb Parrot rifle with a built-in 1" dia x 2.5" long chamber to hold 300 gr of black. I am taking pics as the build progresses and will attempt to post at a later date.
 
Back
Top Bottom