Anyone here shoot their S&W model 1 or 1 1/2's ?.

Tyockell18

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Not really sure.
I don't currently own one, have lots of other antique pocket revolvers in .32 and .38 Rimfire, shoot them all with no issues.

I'v held and seen a few S&W model 1 1/2's. Just curious what you guys think about them, have you fired any of them?.

The hinge action looks rather delicate and the cylinder walls seem rather thin to me. Are the Frames Iron or Brass?.

Anyway interested in your experiences, thanks.

img0217-w1024.jpg
 
I have these two in .32 rf. I shoot them both, they seem strong enough for the cartridge. The frames are iron. The hinge seems better than some others. Both guns have a poor half-####. Maybe that's an issue with them. Lock-up and timing are great on these ones. I say buy some.
colt49s1.jpg
 
I had one for a short while i noticed on mine the chamber walls were paper thin so i asume there BP only.
i never shot it.
Maby the one i had was worn bad. i didnt like the way the cylinder times with that top spring part either.
mine was a clunker tho and to be fair not a good gun to base and opion on.
I hope the chamber walls are abit thicker on them than the one i had tho.
 
I measured the chamber walls, .044 to the outside, .088 to the next chamber. I don't know what a good wall is for a .32 rf tho. I thought the Colt Thunderer chambers looked a little spooky, they measure .049 on the outside, and only .042 to the next hole. And a lot more bang.
There's some not so vauable info for today.
 
Last edited:
I measured the chamber walls, .044 to the outside, .088 to the next chamber. I don't know what a good wall is for a .32 rf tho. I thought the Colt Thunderer chambers looked a little spooky, they measure .049 on the outside, and only .042 to the next hole. And a lot more bang.
There's some not so vauable info for today.


Well thats pretty interesting info, I mean lets be honest the .32RF is a pretty low pressure cartridge at the best of times.

They only leave deep dents in old appliance sheet metal, not a much better performer than a .25 acp I don't figure, 100 ft/lbs vs. about 65 for .25 acp but the .25 having better penetration.

I wonder if any members here have had any of their .32RF pistols come apart on them?. I'm hoping not but its likely inevitable.

I'v had no issues myself but all my guns are well preserved specimens.

On a side note I think I'm going to get some ballistic Gel and see what these little buggers are capable of from revolvers, I'll be using CIL ammo. I'm guessing 5-7 inches of penetration.
 
32 rimfire is snappy in these little revolvers! I had one with no half #### left, a replacement hinge pin, and I shot some shorts out of it. Wow! It shot about 12" low at 5 yards. I thought I had a magnum revolver in my hands.
 
I measured the chamber walls, .044 to the outside, .088 to the next chamber. I don't know what a good wall is for a .32 rf tho. I thought the Colt Thunderer chambers looked a little spooky, they measure .049 on the outside, and only .042 to the next hole. And a lot more bang.
There's some not so vauable info for today.

That sounds alot better than the one i had. Sounds like they do OK cause i never seen a picture of one blowed up.
There is a 32 Rf ammo that i think is pretty hot its canuck ammo has a copper looking bullet to match the case. its got way more zap than cil.
I shot some CIL in my tranter 7 shot 32 Rf and it was so week some were ok some were very gutless. that copper Canuck stuff tho its like a Std 22 LR round.
At least mine was.
Very nice looking Guns Oldiron :) i Love the case to.
That engraved gun is a beauty as well.
 
i have one and like it. lockup is like new, i re did the half&full #### + made some other parts. and remade the hinge.
but i dont trust to shoot it seeing the chamber walls (too thin)

See I like the look of them but I just can't own guns that are not viable safe shooters. Its my little pet peeve I guess.

Not sure what to do.
 
A S&W #2 Army .32 cyl. wall is only .049. A lot af the #2 guns where carried in the Civil war, and with the same hinge too. A big Moores is .066, and a Marlin in .30 cal is only .039. A Tranter 7 shot .32 is .062. A very solid gun.
I have a Brooklyn Slocum .32rf 5 shot with the sliding chamber cyl. Slide a chamber forward, drop a cartridge in length-wise, slide the chamber back over it. Now that's spooky shootin. But it's in good shape, so I use shorts in it.
I would use a #2 Army to shoot lots. A nice big gun.
 
A S&W #2 Army .32 cyl. wall is only .049. A lot af the #2 guns where carried in the Civil war, and with the same hinge too. A big Moores is .066, and a Marlin in .30 cal is only .039. A Tranter 7 shot .32 is .062. A very solid gun.
I have a Brooklyn Slocum .32rf 5 shot with the sliding chamber cyl. Slide a chamber forward, drop a cartridge in length-wise, slide the chamber back over it. Now that's spooky shootin. But it's in good shape, so I use shorts in it.
I would use a #2 Army to shoot lots. A nice big gun.

Yes i got another 7 shot tranter and love it as its also very Accurate.
Best made 32 Rf gun going by far. mine shoots 32 Rf long and short and they do have very thich chamber walls with no stop notch cutouts in line with the chamber.
 
I came across a tiny S&W model 1 1/2 in .22 short recently. By the looks of it, the pistol was fired without the cylinder properly lining up.
One of the hinges was broken away (don't know what happened to the shooter but I bet it stung) and the other bent.
 
I came across a tiny S&W model 1 1/2 in .22 short recently. By the looks of it, the pistol was fired without the cylinder properly lining up.
One of the hinges was broken away (don't know what happened to the shooter but I bet it stung) and the other bent.

Well thats just great, good thing it was with a very anemic cartridge.

First thing I always check is, timing, lockup and end shake.

I see and own some old irons that work like new, and others that are so rickity I wouldnt even let Wendy cukier Fire them.
 
I've not shot my .32 1 1/2. It is in excellent condition, tight, crisp, most original bright blue and most varnish on the rosewood stocks. The mechanism is a bit different than some other early revolvers, with the lockup being on top of the cylinder. Certainly much better made than many other .32 revolvers.
 
From what I have seen on this thread this is antique ammo that you are talking about....not the bad center-fire small caliber (calibre) stuff that is forbidden.
 
Yes, Relatively modern manufactured .32 Rimfire Ammuntion, not prohibited .32 center fire chamberings.

I have some .32RF ammo thats likely only 15-20 years old, and some more thats 30-50 years old. It all works well though.

32RimfireNavyArmsBox.jpg


On the other hand I have a few hundred rounds of .38 Rimfire, but the newest cant be any younger than early to late 1930's.....

8 out of 10 times it'll still fire though.

38navy.jpg
 
SmithWessonOldModelNo2ArmyRevolver.jpg


SmithWessonbarrelmarkings.jpg


DSC06696.jpg


DSC06587.jpg


DSC06674.jpg


DSC06602.jpg



Scratched history on guns is not really what collectors want to see…generally.

I inherited this S&W Model No.2 Old Model revolver (a.k.a. Model No.2 Army)
.32 caliber Long Rim Fire, (Smith & Wesson Number 2 cartridge.)
from my father in-law in 1991.

These guns were manufactured between 1861 & 1872.
The serial number on this gun is 42584 and was probably manufactured around 1868.

On April 17th 1960 a man showed up at his front door to rob him
using this Smith & Wesson revolver…the gun was wrestled away
from the intruder …who then fled and was captured by the
police a few blocks away.

Sometime after the court case the police gave the revolver back to my father in-law as a souvenir….after filing down the hammer to prevent firing.

DSC06675.jpg


According to reports from the family ….the gun was loaded.

DSC06709.jpg


My father in-law was a man that was close to his money…
the wrong guy to try and steal from….he went on to become
the Mayor of this Ontario town for thirteen years.

I believe the police decided to commemorate the event by scratching the date of the event on the gun...otherwise it is in pretty decent condition.

I have been looking for an ejection lug which is missing….I doubt I will ever find an original replacement part.

This story comes from various family sources.....this bandito must have
had a weakness for black powder vintage firearms????

David
 
Last edited:
SmithWessonOldModelNo2ArmyRevolver.jpg


SmithWessonbarrelmarkings.jpg


DSC06696.jpg


DSC06587.jpg


DSC06674.jpg


DSC06602.jpg



Scratched history on guns is not really what collectors want to see…generally.

I inherited this S&W Model No.2 Old Model revolver (a.k.a. Model No.2 Army)
.32 caliber Long Rim Fire, (Smith & Wesson Number 2 cartridge.)
from my father in-law in 1991.

These guns were manufactured between 1861 & 1872.
The serial number on this gun is 42584 and was probably manufactured around 1868.

On April 17th 1960 a man showed up at his front door to rob him
using this Smith & Wesson revolver…the gun was wrestled away
from the intruder …who then fled and was captured by the
police a few blocks away.

Sometime after the court case the police gave the revolver back to my father in-law as a souvenir….after filing down the hammer to prevent firing.

DSC06675.jpg


According to reports from the family ….the gun was loaded.

DSC06709.jpg


My father in-law was a man that was close to his money…
the wrong guy to try and steal from….he went on to become
the Mayor of this Ontario town for thirteen years.

I believe the police decided to commemorate the event by scratching the date of the event on the gun...otherwise it is in pretty decent condition.

I have been looking for an ejection lug which is missing….I doubt I will ever find an original replacement part.

This story comes from various family sources.....this bandito must have
had a weakness for black powder vintage firearms????

David

Very cool post, thanks for sharing!, nice iron too.
 
Back
Top Bottom