I got one of these when I was in school. Paid $3 for it, but that was a LOOOOONNG time ago.
They are chambered deep, for the .25 Stevens cartridge, although regular copper-cased .25 Shorts will work fine.
They are a fun little thing to shoot, surprisingly accurate and a lot more power than you might think. Had a burning-barrel out in back of our restaurant which got used for the occasional "test". A Whizz-bang .22 would penetrate one side of this barrel and make a small dent on the other side. A .25 Stevens round from the .25 Canuck would just drift right through, both sides, and keep on going.
I have never understood why nobody picked up the .25 Stevens round when those idiots at IVI discontinued the type when they took over the old Brownsburg plant in '68. It made a great deal more sense than an endless variety of .22 clones of clones of clones, all with different silly names. If somebody were to put it back in production today, I would buy a brick a month. Believe me, a box and a half for 44 years is NOT enough!
WHY nobody ever built a .25 Stevens semi-auto is beyond me. It would sell, I am sure.... but there would have to be an ammo supply.
Showed my Canuck to a gunsmith friend, a long-time dealer. He was quite surprised, never having seen one, although he HAD seen one in .32RF, which is something I have never seen.
Fine little rifle.
Just needs a box of shells.
.