anyone loading for 41 colt.....?

I load for my 41's. I bought dies from buffalo sports or something like that. Other guys will correct me. I ordered a hollow base mould form Bernie at old west bullet moulds. I use 38 special brass and bullseye powder. I use 3 grains in my thunderers and 3.5 in my 1892. I tried unique but it doesn't seem to bump up the bullets.
 
I got brass, dies and hollow base bullets from a chap in Alberta. Taking an old recipe out of a 50's Lyman reloading guide I had originally loaded 5 gr of Unique, but this was a pretty stout load, so have loaded it down to about 3.5gr. I concur with billdick about the bump up, I don't think it was happening any more when I went down in my powder, so I need to find another option.

Will PM you where I bought.....'the stuff'. I am shooting 41 LC in a 1908 Army Special.
 
This data is from the 1964 Issue of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. Whether these powders are still manufactured to the same pressure levels as in 1964 and thus still safe as stated is not known. All precautionary measures should be taken and pressure levels verified with the Powder manufacturer. I did not include data for powders no longer manufactured.

.41 Long Colt

196 Grain Bullet
---------------------
Powder Sug. Grains velocity Max. Grains Velocity
---------- --------------- ---------- ---------------- -----------
Bullseye 3.0 700 3.5 750
Unique 4.0 690 5.5 910

200 Grain Bullet
--------------------
Bullseye 3.0 695 3.5 745
Unique 4.0 745 5.0 885


Bullet Lyman 386178
Bullet Weight 185 grs
Powder Alliant Bullseye
Powder Weight 3.5 grs
Primer SP
Brass Make Starline
Barrel Length 6 (inches)
C.O.L (inches)
Velocity 760 fps

Bullet Rapine 386185
Bullet Weight 188 grs
Powder Swiss Black Powder
Powder Weight 19 grs
Primer SP Mag
Brass Make Starline
Barrel Length 6 (inches)
C.O.L (inches)
Velocity 750 fps
Comment Group at 15yds = 2" offhand. Not suitable for further distances

If you are going to use a hollow based bullet and smokeless powder it needs to very fast to get the bumping action on the bullet, .386 to .410 is a long way and most of it has to happen in the forcing cone area.

I tried several smokeless powders: Bullseye, Unique, Tightgroup and Trailboss but have found the best loads are with BP or T7 under pure lead.

I was unhappy with the accuracy of .386 bullets so had Lee build me a hollow base heeled mould so that way the heeled section bumps up to engage the rifling also and it throws a 220 gr bullet. It cost about $250 and took a couple of months to get.

With this bullet I can get about 850 fps over BP or 930 fps for T7 and consistantly under 2" (good groups close to 1.25") at 25 yrds. CAUTION: may not be safe in your gun. Go SLOW and watch for pressure signs.

Good luck, good shooting and keep your powder dry.:)
 
I use Rapine hollow base molds. They are no longer made, but as stated Bernie at Old West makes a few 41C designs.

If you want to buy bullets Ben Hunchak on this sight casts a nice heeled bullet.

I get my brass from MysticPrecision on this sight, it's Starline.

If I load black I use 17gr of FFFg Goex. Nice BOOM, smoke & flash. I'm leaning away from using it because I am getting tired of washing my brass cleaning my guns right after the range.

For smokeless I have been usuing 4.4gr Unique. I have not noticed any issues with the hollow skirt not bumping up, but they must be kept slow as to keep the peek pressure low. I am currently looking at alternate, slower smokeless powders to replace Unique to be able to get more FPS but keep the pressure safe. I have tried Alliant Blue Dot, which has a pressure curve similar FFFg blackpowder, but have issues with it being very position sensitive, I haven't noticed this with Unique. I next want to try Ramshot True Blue, it's supposed to be a good all around powder like Unique but with a pressure curve much closer to Blue Dot. It also meters very well unlike Unique or Blue Dot.
 
whats the process for using 38 special brass for 41 colt.......you must have to do something with it....

I just sized them through the dies and shot them. They fireform to the chamber. Then use them if they split I just throw them out. I did not anneal them or anything. They worked as well as 41 long colt brass and you are able to use speedloaders with your antique.;)

I was using an nei hollowbase mold. There are published loads with bullseye powder.
 
I am currently looking at alternate, slower smokeless powders to replace Unique to be able to get more FPS but keep the pressure safe. I have tried Alliant Blue Dot, which has a pressure curve similar FFFg blackpowder, but have issues with it being very position sensitive, I haven't noticed this with Unique. I next want to try Ramshot True Blue, it's supposed to be a good all around powder like Unique but with a pressure curve much closer to Blue Dot. It also meters very well unlike Unique or Blue Dot.

I would be interested in hearing how well you make out with this.
 
Buffalo Arms makes a mould for a 200gr .408 dia heel base bullet. Starline brass should be available from any of our sponsors that carry Starline brass, but you will probably have a wait before you get it.
 
While on the subject of .41 colt, what kind of bullet lube do you use? And more importantly, where to get it?
 
I just sized them through the dies and shot them. They fireform to the chamber. Then use them if they split I just throw them out. I did not anneal them or anything. They worked as well as 41 long colt brass and you are able to use speedloaders with your antique.;)

I was using an nei hollowbase mold. There are published loads with bullseye powder.


The resizing die makes the casing smaller not bigger.

So my question would be, how do you seat a .410 bullet into a .386 casing?

OK found out, use my neck expanding die,:HR:
 
I did a bunch of 41 LC testing a few years ago using a few different smokeless powders and BP substitutes. I even worked up a great little 41 short colt load that was great in my thunderer.

PM me if your'e interested and i'll send you my stuff :)
 
With this bullet I can get about 850 fps over BP or 930 fps for T7 and consistantly under 2" (good groups close to 1.25") at 25 yrds.

That is exceptionally accuracy from modern handgun let alone from an antique 41 Colt. The best I could ever manage from my 41 colt revolver is hitting a tennis ball about 1/2 the time at 10-12 yards. This is my least favorite caliber to load for mostly because of what I feel is the caliber's inherent abysmal accuracy. For new folks who think they are getting a bullseye shooter in 41LC, think again.
 
Back
Top Bottom