Anyone reloading for the 40-82?

daddylonglegs

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.5%
201   1   0
I just acquired a Marlin Mod 1895 (DOM 1903) chambered in 40-82. The bore is in real nice shape for a gun of this age, with minimal pitting. I would like to get the old girl shooting again. Is properly headstamped brass available anywhere (I have my doubts), and if not what brass can it be reformed from. For that matter, what manufacturers make dies in this caliber?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
 
My dies are RCBS, but are fairly old, and I got them from an old timer who has sadly passed on. Brass can be made from 45-90 simply by running it through the 40-82 die. Bertram should have properly headstamped brass, but expect to pay through the nose for it
 
Rusty Woods Trading (site sponsor,Mission BC) may have some he carries some old stuff that Starline manuf.

Enjoy that ol' girl...in case you don't know the 1895 is one of the most sought after models in N.A. , not very many of them made so don't mess with it's provenance or patina. I have two of them a 38-56 and a 45-90, they are very robust action and rank right along with the 1886 Win for strength....that doesn't mean Wizz-Bang smokeless loads have any place in either "Original".
 
Last edited:
If you can, use the CapTech brass. Starline works well too, but I annealed between steps. You will have to trim about .050" to .065" as it will grow a surprising amount. I would steer really clear of Bertram brass. It's a fun round. I should really drag out my 1886 again.
 
Back
Top Bottom