Anyone try Ramshot True Blue in .41 Colt? I'm liking it.

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I tried it today and was impressed. I heard it's supposed to be an "all around" powder like Unique but a lot slower, closer to Blue Dot. It's also a very fine ball powder so meters well.

It's not very position sensitive, I got an average difference of 67fps depending on the muzzle being flipped up or down prior to firing the round vs Blue Dot giving about a 200fps difference when doing the same. Even Unique gave an average difference of 144fps depending on muzzle direction (I did specific five shot strings to test this with these powders).

I tried 4.6gr for a muzzle up average of 682fps, 4.8gr 719fps and 5.0gr 740fps. Bullet was a 185gr pure lead hollow base. Accuracy was very good for all powders and loads tested.
 
Last edited:
I tried two more loads today. First was 5.0gr of True Blue with magnum primers but they made no difference at all. I still got an average difference between muzzle up & down shots of 77fps and the overall fps were basically the same as standard primers. I tried magnum primers with Blue Dot earlier and got about a 60fps increase.

Next was 5.4gr True Blue. I figured this load would get me my target velocity, I was aiming for a muzzle down fps of 730ish and a muzzle up fps of around 800 and 5.4gr was bang on. With normal shooting I'm hoping to achieve at least 750fps but stay under 800fps.

Next I will try 5.4gr in a normal shooting condition and check the accuracy. I've been shooting these loads in my Colt 1895 and will try some in my SAA as well.
 
Went out again and tried 5.4gr under normal shooting condtions and got an average from ten shots of 749fps. Looks like this is my new load for .41 Colt.
 
Back
Top Bottom