appraise my old winchester 1886

savagelh

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
So I recently acquired an old winchester 1886. It seems to be in pretty good shape. caliber is 40-82. I'm far from a collector but I know enough to know its fairly valuable and in good shape for the age. Wood is very solid with no splits and a couple gouges out of the buttstock. I cant find any areas that are pitted with rust. It seems almost like a varnish over all metal parts. Loading gate, lever, bolt and barrel all seem to be a rich dark blue under the varnish(which I'm sure is old grease)
I looked down the bore and I can see rifling but I can't tell how good it is as there is a layer of dust and cobwebs to be cleaned out.

The serial number is 4 digits so I believe its dob would be sometime in 1888. Action is nice and tight with no wobble but again is full of grease and needs a thorough cleaning. Barrel is 26" with a full length tube magazine. Crescent butt plate is in exc condition. It doesnt seem like any of the action screws and the forend tip screws have ever seen a screwdriver.

It has a buckhorn rear sight and simple blade front that I'm sure are original. Should I bother trying to clean it up or just leave it alone? I would like to know the value. Would I be a fool to try shooting it, after a good cleaning of course.

htcfonepics%201264.jpg

htcfonepics%201267.jpg

htcfonepics%201271.jpg

I know the pics arent very good.
 
Can't tell much from the pics. If you are not familiar with collectible Winchester rifles I wouldn't try to "clean it up". Hundreds of dollars(sometimes thousands) have been shaved off vintage Winchester rifles in the past by the uninformed. If you are not up on collectible Winchesters the best course is to leave it alone. Clean up the bore and sell it if that is what you want to do. An original 1886 rifle in .40/82 is worth a fair bit if unmolested.
 
I would certainly remove the grease and clean the bore, but don't try to "improve" anything. Lots of nice old Winchesters have been scrubbed with steel wool, wood sanded down, etc. this generally makes things much worse and will kill the value. But certainly you can carefully clean it.

As long as there is nothing wrong with it you should have no trouble shooting it. I have a pretty well worn 1886 in .38-56 and it gets shot ( with black powder ) on occasion. The dies will likely be expensive for that cartridge, but shouldn't be a problem to find at Buffalo Arms or other such places.

Chris.
 
Would I be a fool to try shooting it, after a good cleaning of course.

.

I used to own an 86 in 40-82 and enjoyed shooting it. You would be wise to slug your bore; mine was .003" oversize and I shot jacketed 41 magnum slugs out of it. I had to open up the neck part of the chamber by 3 thou although I doubt that anyone would ever know. I think I used 45 basic brass to make the cases because they are longer than 45-70 cases if my memory is correct. Since if you use smokeless loads, you have a small volume of powder and need to put a pinch of drier lint or something similar on top of the powder to keep it against the primer. It the powder is loose, you will get very variable velocities. My gun used to shoot roughly a 4" group at 100 yards

cheers mooncoon
 
One thing which is critical to value or at least desireability to collectors is whether or not the stock has been sanded and refinished. If metal shows above the wood, it probably has been sanded and that brings the price down a lot

cheers mooncoon
 
I am no expert but do have a couple of Winchesters one of which was shot originally with black powder and the bore looks like a gravel road.
If I were you I would carefully clean the bore and check for corrosion etc. This would affect value.
Did you make a good deal? Looks like you got a nice rifle in any case.
 
I just bought the same rifle in 45-70. And like you, while not being a "collector", I know I'm keeping this one. I read it's a good thing to get a letter from the Cody Museum to confirm the rifle is all original. But is it the first thing to do?
 
Im mo winchester collector but thats what id be doing with a 1886 or model 71. Authenticty ... Pays $$$. Like a 33 wcf lightweight. Could be confused with a cut barrel and a new but plate off a shotgun it think. But a real one $$$$ and a cut barrel. Well yeah its a hunting gun then. Id like to know whats original on my winchesters !!
 
Hello,

You state that "I know the pictures aren't very good" Then get some good photos as a start. Read this for help and follow the directions. Then post the better photos and shoe LOTS of detail and then I can help you. Also, what is the serial number? This will determine the date of manufacture which does make a difference.

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom