Are colt percussion nipples standard threading/dimensions?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Anyone know if the percussion nipples available at marstar will fit an antique colt pocket revolver? I have an antique with modern repro nipples so I assume so, however I don't know where those nipples are from or what make they are.

The diameter of the repro nipples are .164 across the round top section. Internal diameter of the nipples is 0.085. The originals I have are so crushed and destroyed that I can't get any reliable comparison for them.

Any ideas if any of the marstar ones will fit? I've sent an email to marstar as well, but figured I should ask too.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/ac-flints.shtm
 
If you take an old nipple out and measure the thread pitch and outside diameter that would be a good way to match to new ones that are available. I would love to get a Colt pocket in .31 cal with a 4 inch barrel but the antiques are too $$$ and reproductions are prohibited.:bangHead:

PoketColtCased.jpg
 
I was told by a reputable gunsmith that the European reproductions use a metric thread, while originals used a standard thread. I believe Dixie Gunworks carries both. Hope this is of some help....
 
If you take an old nipple out and measure the thread pitch and outside diameter that would be a good way to match to new ones that are available. I would love to get a Colt pocket in .31 cal with a 4 inch barrel but the antiques are too $$$ and reproductions are prohibited.:bangHead:

PoketColtCased.jpg

They are certainly neat little guns. They definitely fit the hand nicely. It's just a pity that I need to buy a nipple wrench when I buy the nipples, or I'd be able to check them :p

I was told by a reputable gunsmith that the European reproductions use a metric thread, while originals used a standard thread. I believe Dixie Gunworks carries both. Hope this is of some help....

Yep - I'd imagine that the antiques, being made in the mid to late 1800s would be imperial. I wonder what threading the london colts use?:p
 
If convenient - how long are they from flush with the surface of the cylinder to the face of the nipple? (IE - exposed length above the threading)

Wondering if colt used a standard nipple for their 1849 and 1851 or if they were different sizes depending on caliber and gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom