Armisport 1855 Springfield or '62 Richmond

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I am thinking of buying a Armisport '55 Springfield or the 1862 Richmond rifled muskets. The Springfield is not much more and has the rear sights of the P53 Enfield. Anyone have any experience with these guns? Being a Civil War buff they are of great interest to me. And no, I could never afford an original.
 
Years ago my dad and I shot in Musket matches in the USA. We both used Enfield Italian copies. Dad used the three band musket and I used a two band rifle. We would shoot minie ball matches against guys with Springfield muskets. Dad took his share of trophies with his musket, as well as I. IT really intimidated guys when he showed up...this was in the 1970's. Just to mention...last year I was a US gun show and ran across three of the guys we used to shoot with/against...they were all musket shooters. Every one of them asked if dad still had his Enfield musket, and if he was still shooting it. They all reminisced about competing with dad and I at the musket matches and how they could never beat dad with his..their words..."god-damned Enfield"!!!!!
In my tow band I used a patched round ball for regular target matches...that gun would out shoot virtually anything, if it was loaded consistently. I used a 3/8' brass loading/cleaning rod, and would seat the ball by slamming the rod into the barrel...with a bore guide. When the rod woudl make a harmonic "twang", the gun was ready to fire. At 100 yards it woudl print five shots inside of two inches, if I did my part. My mom shot it in a ladies match and scored 48-2X out of 50-5X at 50 yards...everyone was amazed.
Sorry I am running off with the story. The rear sight will help you immensely, but work the loads and bullets to get your best combination.
Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom