Army Museum Mystery. . . (?)

fat tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
I happened across this site:

094.jpg


http://everitas.rmcclub.ca/?cat=12

someone from the Army Museum posted these pics of a mysterious cannon like device with a rifled barrel and what appears to be a bronze or brass breech. Does anyone have a clue what this is?

I was thinking it has something to do with Royal Navy Nordenfeldt sub-caliber adapters, other than that - no idea. it is certainly not a handgonne like some have opined.
 
Last edited:
Wild a@@ guess, maybe a BP era naval signalling device???? Maybe a killing device for harpooned whales??

Edit: The more I look at this, the more I believe this is a killing device for shark/marlin/beluga whale, made up locally by an in-shore fisherman for marine use. That screw in breech end appears to have a machined slot for extracting a shell of some kind.
Makes me wonder if this was once a machinegun or a shotgun barrel, & then modified for other uses.

I'm done.........
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom