Austrian Hertinberger 7.62 Ammo?

y2k

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
459   0   0
Location
Land of No Trees
Sighting in a PH .308 today. Was not really impressed with grouping. Anywhere from 1.25 - 3.5 maybe even 4 inches. Using Austrian Military surplus Hertinberger ammo. Kind of find it hard to believe the rifle did`nt shoot better so I`m kind of thinking it is the ammo? Anyone else use this ammo and what are your thoughts?
 
I've only heard good things about this ammo, maybe a bad batch/improperly stored? Just making guesses it could be a lot of things.
 
Hi. Milsurp ammo isn't made for great accuracy. However, Hirtenberger is known to be good ammo. Your rifle likely just dosn't like it. The rifle scoped? How well does it shoot other milsurp/commercial ammo?
 
1" what? 3 round groups?

Hertinberger is marginal ammo imho, and i'm sitting on, and have fired thousands of it.
 
I purchased 400 rounds of Hirtenburger 7.62 in 200 round, sealed battle packs.
Stamped '79' production.
I took my recently aquired Savage 10BA (scoped) to the range last week to sight it in.
After a few rounds I was more or less dialed in, although I would like to get out a few more times and fine tune it a bit more plus get some more trigger time in on the gun.
I was getting down to 2", 5 round groups at a 100 yards, off a bipod only, before I just as I started the second box.
Seems to be fairly good Mil Surp ammo to me.
I've read the brass is excellent to reload, one of the reasons I bought the 400 rounds!!

I'd love to get my hands on some Lake City M118 LR to compare!!!!!
 
Well I have not fired thousands of rounds of it, what I've got left is squirreled away for a rainy day. Honestly I've never heard that this is "marginal" surplus at all. In my experience it has been very good, much better that the Israeli stuff at least.
 
Portugese , South African and Hirt have all been good , you will want to avoid 'IVI' like a subpoena from a syrian court however......
 
What production years of IVI should we be avoiding? I recall reading somewhere that only certain years were not great but otherwise IVI is decent ammo.

The brass is good. Don't expect match results with IVI. DA ammo from the 60's before IVI took over was the good stuff.
 
Below groups with my 16" LMT MWS

Typical 5 round group with 'Hurtenburgler' at 100m:

IMG_0092.jpg


Typical 5 round group with IVI at 100m:

IMG_0094.jpg


Typical 5 round group with handloads at 100m:

IMG_0095.jpg
 
IVI groups about 2 inches in my 20 Hbar AR15. Cheap handloads are about the same. Fancy handloads under an inch. Also, for some reason my rifle loves Federal AE, and it also groups under an inch. That said, for practice ammo, IVI is great and as a bonus, you get to keep the great brass.
 
Back
Top Bottom