Baker Rifle from Military Heritage.ca

Can't speak to the quality, but another source is The Rifle Shoppe in Oklahoma. They have shipped to me in Canada in the recent past. Quality appears to be excellent but customer service leaves room for improvement.
 
As I mentioned in a recent thread, Peter Dyson over in England builds a perfect repliva of either version of the Baker rifle, but you'll need patience - the current waiting list is around three years - and money - current price is as near $5000 as makes no odds.

Lots of real ones in UK as well, but they are getting serious money these days.

tac in Oregon
 
Rifle shop is your only bet for a rifled one. Cheaper way would be to get one from loyalist arms and buy a replacement rifle barrel out of the state's.

Loyalist quality is way above military heritage. And they have the best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with in terms of gun stores.
 
You can purchase a smooth bore Baker from Loyalist and replace the barrel with a rifled barrel from Track of the Wolf. I had a Baker from Military Heritage but it was crap.

The Baker repros mentioned are from India. They're cheap but you get what you paid for.

To get a quality rifled Baker, budget a lot more money.
 
Yep I agree Tom I just ordered a kit from the rifle shoppe,Just trying to find someone who can build it for me now.
 
I hadn't heard of the gent mentioned in an earlier post, but I'd give him a try.

Most of the builders you see mentioned on Track of the Wolf are in the US of course.
 
You just made me very jealous! LOL This is one I have been looking at for a while but out of price range and build experience. You definitely need to post pics before and after and info on who u eventually find to help you out. Then after all that, sell it to me for a very good price :)lol!!!
 
I bought an Indian repro Baker with a smoothbore barrel. I had a gunsmith in the US rebarrel it with a brand new rifled barrel, made by him.
It was a very nice piece of work.

Before shipping it he test fires it and supplies you with a target shot with the rifle.

I did it as cheaply as it was possible to do it.

I had to wait a long time for the barrel.

Have a look.



One of the great things about the Baker, vs say the Brown Bess or other pinned black powder arm, is the hooked breech- you can easily remove the barrel for cleaning.



Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com
 
Last edited:
At the time I had it, I was looking at a recurring ad for one built from a Rifle Shoppe kit, with walnut stock. Ended up wishing I had that extra quality.

Bottom line....if you're going to spend 3 grand on a repro, why not buy a real Baker rifle?

I've tried repros and they really don't flip my switch that much.
 
Last edited:
I've seen 2 for around 3K. One on the forum, one at a gun show.

Both were either worn out or smoothbore. But they were undeniably Bakers.

But yeah, if it's 17K that's a pretty thin market.
 
Back
Top Bottom