Baker rifle??

I just received a baker rifle from "The Discriminating General" in Ontario. As was stated on their website, the barrel is not rifled and the touch hole is not drilled. It was on sale for $539 canadian. Quality seems good - I'm liking it. I'm going to hang it on a wall but I'll probably shoot it at some point.
J
BakerRifle007_zpsf3e2be85.jpg
 
One think to keep in mind if the dealer/gunsmith is willing to proof the gun you can buy it but if they say that the gun is shipped with no touch hole drilled for whatever reason. Think twice before you buy it, it may be just a pretty decoration
 
Yeah, I don't want a wall hanger. That is okay for questionable antiques.

I just received a baker rifle from "The Discriminating General" in Ontario. As was stated on their website, the barrel is not rifled and the touch hole is not drilled. It was on sale for $539 canadian. Quality seems good - I'm liking it. I'm going to hang it on a wall but I'll probably shoot it at some point.
J
BakerRifle007_zpsf3e2be85.jpg
 
The link I provided stated there is a rifled barrel from a separate source.
And I also want the bayonet and scabbard that comes with gun only.
"Not sold separately".

One think to keep in mind if the dealer/gunsmith is willing to proof the gun you can buy it but if they say that the gun is shipped with no touch hole drilled for whatever reason. Think twice before you buy it, it may be just a pretty decoration
 
Track of the Wolf has an archive that shows the firearms they have sold in the past.
It shows a number of reproduction Baker rifles, and is well worth the extra fee for a year to view their records.
You might also want to read, "British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840" by De Witt Bailey Ph. D.
 
There's a smoothbore Baker for sale right now on the EE - $800. The owner says he's fired it 50 times. Plus he has a link to a rifled barrel.
 
I spent five years shooting the Brown Bess musket down at Fort York for reenactment of 1812.
I can still do the 1812 British drill by the numbers. I was a blast, never hurts to learn more though,
thanks for the source, I'll look it up after I finish reading Pierre Burton's book "The Invasion of Canada
1812-1813.


Track of the Wolf has an archive that shows the firearms they have sold in the past.
It shows a number of reproduction Baker rifles, and is well worth the extra fee for a year to view their records.
You might also want to read, "British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840" by De Witt Bailey Ph. D.
 
That is the thing, I want the sword/bayonet that came with the Baker at the link
I put up. I am guessing that it may be better to go that route knowing that I
have to upgrade and tinker to a reliable set up for this firearm.
I may be bad at history of these firearms,but I have had them stripped down
to their basic components for cleaning.

My thinking here was to others here their opinion on these repos, second
question that just came to me, I noticed that the barrels appear to be stainless.
Can you get those browned? I dislike the stainless barrels for the sake of
their look.
 
Hi there!

Heres my Baker, I traded for it with a board member and I love it!

She is a indian one with a aftermarket rifled barrel fitted to it.

I have had her for a few months and have shot her a fair amount and dragged her through the bush aplenty, the lock is wonderful and the barrel shoots accurately the furniture is all well cast, she is a great rifle.
The only way she could be any better in my eye is if she had a walnut stock, but its a relatively minor issue as the teak stock on her is still really nice.

 
Back
Top Bottom