Barnes TSX

Adam F85

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Location
Surrey, BC
I have been told that Barnes TSX ammo is really nice. I have a 30-06 and would like something in 165 grain for deer, bear, etc. Can anyone comment on this ammo? Or any other suggestions?

CHeers
Adam
 
plan on using the same round myself in 308 my brother took a moose with one about 180 yds excellent uniform expansion and almost 100% weight retention not sure about performance on heavy bone though
 
I know that at close range they make a f*cking mess.

Shot a buck at 20 feet (heart/lung shot), he dropped in his tracks and required a kill shot to finish him.

The guy who cut him up asked if was using a hand grenade.

.270, 140gr, medium velocity.
 
Maybe 150grain would be more suited. Im going to try the core-lokt forsure but have read that '30-06 loves 165 grain. Realistically 150 grain is ample for deer though, easier to find and cheaper too
 
"...been told that Barnes TSX ammo is..." Expensive stuff too. Mind you, Barnes doesn't load their own ammo. They sell bullets to the manufacturers.
"...30-06 loves 165 grain. Realistically 150 grain is..." Yep, but it's more about having one load for everything. A 165 will kill any game you care to hunt. A 150 can be a bit light for large game. Operative words being 'can be'. Game doesn't care about bullet weight. Place a 150 right and Bullwinkle will go down. A 165 just hits a wee bit harder. Not by much though.
 
The Barnes are pretty good at perforating bone. My cousin hit a moose at 200-ish yards with a 30-06 using 165 gr TSX in the shoulder blade. (He swears he hit a branch causing the bad shot) There was a neat hole through the shoulder blade and the bullet still exited just below the spine on the other side.
 
We used 180 grain TSX in a 30-06 on our trip to Africa last year and performance was great. Expansion does suffer a bit at longer ranges but with a 30-06 you should be fine to 300 yards. Speed really is your friend with the TSX. Expansion is violent at close ranges! Near 100% weight retension and 2x expansion are the rule rather than the exception with the TSX. I shoot them in my .338 as well.
 
took a good sized black bear with a TSX out of my 7mm-08 this spring...
The bullets penetrate, I can tell you that much. I can also tell you that it is the bukket I will be using for Moose, Elk , deer and maybe bear this year.
I believe them to be inherently accurate.
 
165 TSX in a 30-06 is damn near perfect for North America excluding big bears, and even those will be killed by the 165 TSX, I just like bigger.
 
Been using them(165gr) in my 30/06 for several years now, all i've shot is whitetail but they are impressive to say the least, most shots have been drt, not a step taken.
 
Back
Top Bottom