Barrel Wedges

Bluffton Bill

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Camrose
Are wedges pretty much interchangeable/generic between rifles? I lost mine out hunting today and had to carve one out of a chunk of alder.

Don't know what would have happened if I touched her off.

At any rate I know that WSS or Cabela's might have Traditions or TC Wedges in stock, but pretty sure they won't have any Lyman
 
Take a set of digital calipers with you and check their thickness, width and length. I suspect length may be the most critical dimension; pretty hard to stretch one that is too short. You can also make one out of mild steel

If you feel you have to bend a barrel wedge, be sure to do it hot, some / many are fairly hard and can break if you try to bend them cold

cheers mooncoon
 
Are wedges pretty much interchangeable/generic between rifles? I lost mine out hunting today and had to carve one out of a chunk of alder.

Don't know what would have happened if I touched her off.

At any rate I know that WSS or Cabela's might have Traditions or TC Wedges in stock, but pretty sure they won't have any Lyman

You can order replacement Lyman barrel wedges from Track of The Wolf.
 
Cut a piece of mild steel flat bar and place it across the open jaws of your vice, using a hammer and drift, bend a radius in it, till it fits snug.
Cheers nessy
 
A few minutes with a hack saw and file will get you a wedge that will keep you in action until the end of hunting season. Cut/ file a rectangular strip (any brass or steel, even chop up a 4" nail) that will fit through the barrel under-lug and stock openings, cut to length and slightly bevel the ends. If there isn't enough resistance to hold it in place, then put a very slight arch it. There is no need to form a head on the temporary wedge for your purposes.
 
For the record the 'jobber' from Traditions will fit a Lyman. A little long but you can file it. I is pretty crudely built but it is serviceable. The TC wedge is a little loose.

Back to chasin' my deer...
 
Back
Top Bottom