Basic Cost of reloading for Trap

bluemike807

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
Hi everyone, Im considering getting into trap reloading in 12ga. I've done some basic research but Im curious as to the prices others have encountered.

If you can, let me know what you paid for:

reloader (Im thinking of getting a Lee Load-All)
wads
hulls (likely I'll just use spent factory ones, I have plenty)
primers
shot
powder

Other accessories (resizing dies, etc)

Im hoping the initial cost with basic materials will be around $120 or so, but Im flexible. Looking forward to your replies
 
Better up your ante..
Shot - 30-$35 a 25lb bag
Primers - 35-$50 a thousand
Powder - 25-$35 a pound or 8 lbs for $100
Wads 10-$14 per 500 All plus Taxes
 
buy a MEC loader they are much better.

I got into it many years back and I went good right off the bat. MEC's have many different models for the price point you can afford.

Ive not heard much good things about the load-alls
 
Better up your ante..
Shot - 30-$35 a 25lb bag
Primers - 35-$50 a thousand
Powder - 25-$35 a pound or 8 lbs for $100
Wads 10-$14 per 500 All plus Taxes

I did a bit of quick math on these estimates, and I'd appreciate some comments:

Below is the workup for a basic trap load using the maximum costs estimated above

Shot - $35/25lbs - using 1oz loads - 1oz=($35/(25x16))=$0.0875
Primers - $50/1000 - 1 primer - =$0.05
Powder - $35/8lbs - 1lb=256 drams - 3 drams = ($35/(256))x3 = $0.4101
Wads - $12/500 - 1 wad = ($12/500) = $0.024
Hulls (I have heaps so Im making them $0)

Tallied up that equals $0.57 a round. For a box of 25 rounds thats $14.25 or so.

I always thought reloading for shells was more cost effective? I can get a case of 100 rounds for $40.00.

Am I off here?
 
Shot - $35/25lbs - using 1oz loads - 1oz=($35/(25x16))=$0.0875
Primers - $50/1000 - 1 primer - =$0.05
Powder - $35/8lbs - 1lb=256 drams - 3 drams = ($35/(256))x3 = $0.4101
Wads - $12/500 - 1 wad = ($12/500) = $0.024
Hulls (I have heaps so Im making them $0)

Tallied up that equals $0.57 a round. For a box of 25 rounds thats $14.25 or so.

I always thought reloading for shells was more cost effective? I can get a case of 100 rounds for $40.00.

Am I off here?
You're way off on your powder weight calculations. Manufacturers might use "dram" on a box of shells that's equivalent to black powder measure. Smokeless powder is measured in grains not drams. There are 7,000 grains per pound.

Try running your numbers through this calculator and see what you come up with.

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/ShotshellReloadingCost/
 
Even thinking drams when using smokeless is scary stuff, 3 drams of 700x would blow you up real good, people need to read up on shotshell reloading or any reloading before setting out!!!!
 
if and when I get a reloader, I'll be absolutely sure to get instructions and recipes.

As I said, the above was quick math, using google's mass and volumetric conversion (type 1lb in drams into google). Obviously that was a bit off.

Claybuster, thanks for that calculator, very handy. I can see there is a bit of savings to be had, especially if you're shooting regularly. I go through about 50 rounds a week, more if I can swing it so approximately 19 boxes of 25 in my reloader will have paid for itself. Sounds like a go to me.

Would you say the prices indicated earlier in the thread are about right?
 
Would you say the prices indicated earlier in the thread are about right?
Yes. Those price ranges are about right based on what I'm paying in South Central Ontario. My powder costs are a little higher because I use a premium brand but my lead costs are a little lower. Overall it pretty much evens out.
 
Then add in the price of the reloader, and your time....

I bought a reloader and plan to load a few trap loads just to see how they shoot compared to Win Super target. Mainly I think I will reload some buck shot and slugs, should be able to save a little VS buying factory.
 
don't go cheap on reloader ,I first bought Lee and it worked fine but then went to Mec 600 Jr and found a huge difference ,no comparison and X2 on cost calculator web site it works very well. John
 
100 rounds are 32 here now I think.. I liked it better when they were 20.. only a couple years ago. My buddy bought 15 or 18 100 packs one day at walmart and used a shopping cart to take it out. haha.. ~$350... I gotta say Rem. 11-87's take a good beating for a long time very well.
 
Back
Top Bottom