Beat-up Ballard attic find

OneBarfly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
106   0   1
Not mine, but an aquintance of mine recently bought a really beat up Ballard that his co-worker found in an attic.

The new owner thinks he found civil war relic worth a fortune. Me, not so much. Here are a few pictures.

Is this worth anything, or just a wall hanger? Any other info is appreciated

DSC_0123.jpg


DSC_0005.jpg


DSC_0128.jpg


DSC_0032.jpg


DSC_0130.jpg


DSC_0127.jpg


DSC_0037.jpg
 
Looks to be a Ballard Hunters rifle.Made 1875/76 . The forend isn't right but everything else looks o.k. Cal was usually 44 rimfire or 44 centerfire. Value for this condition I would guess at between 5-700- Is there an external extractor lever on the piece?
 
I don't recall seeing one with a center mounted extractor before. Also the left half of the breach assembly appears to be broken because the spring should not be exposed. I am guessing the gun is a rimfire. I would think in the present condition it would be in the $4 - $500 range. With a good bore and intact breach plus no rust etc, it would be worth a lot more

cheers mooncoon
 
You have a Ballard patent carbine manufactured by Ball & Williams. The early Ball & williams Ballards had a one piece breechblock that was changed to the more familiar two piece breechblock around serial number 9500. As far as I know all pre-Marlin Ballards had centre mounted extractors. The carbine pictured would originally have a knob on the underside of the forearm ahead of the frame and a spring to actuate the extractor. Often condition counts more than rarity.

Regards,
Powderman
 
Good call Powdwerman. Missed the Ball connection. Would likely be their sporting rifle avail in Rim-fire only-32, 38, 44 or 46 cal. Think the value would be about the same however. Cheers
 
Thanks to all for your response. Very much appreciated. I will pass the info along to the owner. Do you have an idea of the date of manufacture?

Here is some more info from the owner:

the markings on the rifle are
serial # 7782
Ballard patent
Ball And Williams
something ending in KS
chamber is 0.470" dia +- 3.08" to the shoulder
barrel length is 22.25" with 9.125 1" hexagon
looks to be centerfire
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom