Beeswax: ...Interest? ...Price? ...Form?

nw mb

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I keep a couple of hives of honeybees...thought I'd ask if there's any interest on CGN for selling it in small, limited quantities? ...what would you think is a fair price? ...and how would you want it sized and shaped? Don't have any right now but perhaps in the fall I might...thanks.

View attachment 13021

...electric fence is for bears (yes we have a problem and yes it works!) and snoopy CGN'ers...
 
I do Civil War(Confederate) reenacting,and beeswax comes in handy for lining the inside of tin canteens.
 
I have no doubt you'll sell it in short order.

I also use it for BP bullet lube. For price, it's all over the map. I picked some up recently locally for about $10/pound over here (Northwestern BC). And I've paid around double that in the past (because I couldn't find any at the time); and then I've also picked it up for something like $3/pound (although some time ago now) - just to give you an idea.
 
I pay $20/kg locally.

If I can get it for less than that shipped I'm in.

Size and shape doesn't matter, I melt it down. Most here probably do.
 
I use it as a bow string wax, and to waterproof the seams on my boots, I'm lucky enough to know a bee keeper who gives me some when I need it.
 
Ive picked it up for $1 a pound from a bee keeper (has moved)

Was a dark wax with sediment (end of run ) with a bit of work it became bullet lube /string wax

every one wants the light coloured wax = more $$
 
Ive picked it up for $1 a pound from a bee keeper (has moved)

Was a dark wax with sediment (end of run ) with a bit of work it became bullet lube /string wax

every one wants the light coloured wax = more $$

You can warm up the wax in a pan and skim off a lot of the specks in it, then pour it into a flat container to harden, cut it into usable pieces and store.
 
If you cast them into the size and shape of a Kit Kat chocolate bar and sold them for the same price that would be handy.
I bought a kilogram a while back so I am set for quite a while.
 
I had a bad winter, some years back, had 45 out of 50 hives die on me. Spent a LOT of time the following summer processing the bunged up equipment through a solar melter (commercial fridge door that I picked up at the dump), and processed and sold a lot of wax. I could put 30-40 frames at a time of deep super sized frames, into the melter, and the melted wax a honey dripped into a bathtub half full of water. The wax floated and the honey was dissolved (and fermented!)

I used a 5 gallon metal bucket with a 110v hot water heater element in the side of it to boil up any batches of cappings or to re-process wax that was too dirty to use the first time through. I would bring the bucket (with it half filled with water) to a boil, then cover it and allow it to sit overnight. The layer of clean wax usually had a layer of the floaties stuck to it's underside, that I would shave off with a sharp blade, and save to add to the next batch, along with all the particles of wax that had not incorporated with the cake. I used a double boiler to deal with the 'clean' wax to make the nice bricks in the tin foil packs.

I found about the easiest container to use, was a foil Chinese food take out style tray. I could set up the scale pour until the weight was reached, and move it to the next one. Not so small a qty. as to make handling a PITA, not so big as to make it cost prohibitive. IIRC the square serving size packs gave a 1 pound brick.

Cappings and other nice clean wax sold best to crafts people, and for more money. Guys that wanted it for more industrial uses typically didn't mind a little darker wax. It was all pretty nice stuff.

IIRC, the bee supplies places sell molds too, for small bricks of wax (couple ounces?). Check around online.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom