Belgian Proof Marks & Musket ID **Help**

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
Hello

I found the choke proof and the barrel since 1924 smooth bore, but confused on the rest.
Any help will be appreciated.

I have included pictures of the musket and lock as well as the proofs under the barrel.

take care and thanks

jpc

flint.jpg


IMG_5523.jpg


IMG_5522.jpg


IMG_5528.jpg


IMG_5527.jpg


IMG_5526.jpg


IMG_5525.jpg
 
Last edited:
A buddy of mine has almost the identicle musket and I would say in NRA excellent condition.

He was told;

Belgian Charleville musket copy???

The only other one that I have ever seen was at the Woodstock, Ontario gun show,
say a year or so back.
 
"Choke bored?"

I was a little surprised too :)

I am a bit puzzled; who said it was choke bored? I can't see any stamps to indicate that. If it was choke bored it would have to either be made after about 1875 or perhaps jug choked to permit it being used as a shot gun

cheers mooncoon
 
the 18.8 refers to the bore in mm. If the gun were choked and depending on the time of manufacture, you might see stamps like 18 m 16 b meaning the guage at muzzle and breach respectively, a diamond with a C inside or the words "not for ball" on the barrel. I see the barrel maker's initials (I presume) one or two perrons (mini eiffel towers) and the double L both of which are view marks. No idea what the three pairs of 2 numbers are. Could be just my eyes but it almost looks like a couple of crown over V stamps which would be british I presume

cheers mooncoon
 
the 18.8 refers to the bore in mm

Thanks Mooncoon I misunderstood the table.
I will take another look at the barrel and try to answer your question

take care

jpc
 
Back
Top Bottom