Belgian revolver in 297-230 short morris

gjgibeau

Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I have a small frame Belgian 7 shot revolver in 297-230 morris. and wondering if anyone has ever come across one of these. I purchased this in a group of 20 prohibs and is registered as a 22 rimfire
I only realized that it was not 22 rimfire when I finally took a close look at it. I will be attempting to get it deregistered here shortly.
Anyone with any info on the caliber or the revolver would be greatly appreciated. I have found out the caliber was used in martinis etc for sub caliber practice for the military but have not found any reference to it being a handgun caliber.

thanks
 
witch length of morris is it in short or long both have the same body length the long just has a longer neck then there is the extra long witch I know nothing about.

I know brass can be made from .22 hornet the bullets on the other hand are heeled based and about .228" cast bullet engineering is the only place I know of for a mold.

if you get it deregistered and don't want the hassle shoot me a PM
 
it is a short for sure, rounds fit perfectly in the cylinder. I came across 150 rounds at a gun show the other day and bought it all. now I just have to get this little revolver torn apart and gone over the hammer doesn't want to #### properly about every 2nd or 3rd time.

I will keep in mind your offer if I decide to sell it after I get it deregistered if they let me
 
it is a short for sure, rounds fit perfectly in the cylinder. I came across 150 rounds at a gun show the other day and bought it all. now I just have to get this little revolver torn apart and gone over the hammer doesn't want to #### properly about every 2nd or 3rd time.

I will keep in mind your offer if I decide to sell it after I get it deregistered if they let me

id not shoot original ammo
 
SERVICE charge with the .297/.230 Morris (A.T.) Short was 3-1/4 grains of Black powder.

It was the SMALLEST centrefire British military cartridge of the 19th Century.

Morris Aiming Tubes were also made for the Snider as well as for the Martini-Henry.

There were a very small number of early Lee rifles converted for use with this cartridge also. They are SUPER fun!

Ammo is easy to make from Hornet, just a fiddling, frustrating job.... but the results are worth it.

Good luck!
 
Nope I am not planning to shoot any of the original ammo but couldn't pass up the price for it. I have lots of 22 hornet brass I will try my hand at forming some rounds once I get the revolver tuned up.

thanks for the info on the amount of powder charge
 
I have lots of 22 hornet brass I will try my hand at forming some rounds once I get the revolver tuned up.

If you are making your shells from hornet brass, you would be wise to ream the chamber out to match your formed shells. Because the gun was made for the short morris shell, the neck area of the chamber will probably be several thousandths too small unless you made up a special mold to cast healed bullets. I have seen a couple of martinis chambered in the short morris and a further one with a liner installed. When I altered my guns to the morris shell, I made a spade bit reamer to match the dimensions of the round that I had formed

I also had to make an intemediate forming die to bring the shell down in two stages

cheers mooncoon
 
If you are making your shells from hornet brass, you would be wise to ream the chamber out to match your formed shells. Because the gun was made for the short morris shell, the neck area of the chamber will probably be several thousandths too small unless you made up a special mold to cast healed bullets. I have seen a couple of martinis chambered in the short morris and a further one with a liner installed. When I altered my guns to the morris shell, I made a spade bit reamer to match the dimensions of the round that I had formed

I also had to make an intemediate forming die to bring the shell down in two stages

cheers mooncoon


the morris used a heel based bullet no matter the length .228" the heel was small if I remember something about the same size as a .22lr heel about .213".


ive liked the cartridge since I first seen it it looks like a mini .577-450 and it would make a handy little squirrel popper
 
here's some load data idk if the smokeless data would be safe in the revolver though

2hq6lxg.jpg
 
because chamber pressure is affected by internal volume, the short morris and particularly the short morris with an inside seated bullet will get much higher pressures compared with the same powder charge in the long morris or the extra long. I would have to check my notes but I think I am using either 1.2 or 1.4 grains of Green Dot compared with the 2 grains shown in the table above. I have not had time to chronograph the load yet

cheers mooncoon
 
I just saw a ton of this ammo at last gun show. Was cheap too. If you looking for some pm me I will most likely see it at the oct 6th show. Can pick it up for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom