Belgium pinfire info

grandmasterP

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
162   0   0
Location
vancouver
I just aquired a belgium pinfire along with some other rusted and unidetifiable parts and a Harrington and Richardson 1 inch flare gun. I believe the pinfire is a 7 mm but I measured the bore and cylinder and it seems to be more of a tight 8 mm

I have seen pinfire cartridges for sale at the gun show although I doubt I would ever fire it. these guns were crudely made and more for just a collector piece.

also I have had the same flare gun before but could never find 1 inch flares for it at the gun shows.

any info on any of the parts in the pic would be appreciated and the value of the pinfire




Uploaded with ImageShack.us







Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
The barrel(in the center) cylinder and hammer appear to be from a reproduction colt revolver because the barrel says black powder only.

the pinfire is made after 1893 and probably worth about $200.00
 
Last edited:
i just bought a nearly identical pin fire. it was advertised as a .38 cal pin fire. mine is belgian, but has inscribed on the cylinder, "the guardian american model of 1878" i paid $275 cad for it.







I just aquired a belgium pinfire along with some other rusted and unidetifiable parts and a Harrington and Richardson 1 inch flare gun. I believe the pinfire is a 7 mm but I measured the bore and cylinder and it seems to be more of a tight 8 mm

I have seen pinfire cartridges for sale at the gun show although I doubt I would ever fire it. these guns were crudely made and more for just a collector piece.

also I have had the same flare gun before but could never find 1 inch flares for it at the gun shows.

any info on any of the parts in the pic would be appreciated and the value of the pinfire




Uploaded with ImageShack.us







Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
If you are making shells for the pinfire, I think the caps need to sit in a square recess in the base of the shell. I have tried using upside down #11 caps in a round recess (ie cut in with a 5/16" end mill and they would not fire in small pistols because the mainsprings tend to be fairly weak. You do want to use brass pins to prevent damage to the hammer. Shotguns and larger pistols have much stronger springs and do work with brass pins and upside down percussion caps

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom