Bent my ram rod....

deckerhead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Location
Kawartha Lakes
:mad: I own a new CVA Wolf 50cal. Fired 8 rounds thru it only. Its so hard to push sabots down that I bent then broke the ram rod on my 8th try?? got halfway down only! Anyone know why its so thight ?
 
Sounds like your a ml noob.

Not a bad thing, we were all there at one time. Get a hold of CGN'r HUNTSMAN. He's from that area, and my ML hunting buddy from waaay back. He can mentor ya in the evils, perils, and frustrations of ML's.


Hakx
 
Yep kinda new at it.....had a 36 ball/cap revolver about 30 years ago. Tought I'd try my luck with a modern ML this Deer season instead of Shotgun. BTW Hakx I have never or will own a Norinco either......lol.
 
What powder are you using, what charge weight & what bullet?

Guys on US deer hunting sights are reporting good results with the following
loads.
1) One Triple 7 pellet with a 200 gr. TC sabot bullet = 2.5" 3 shot group @ 100 yds.
Cleaning bore between shots. Shot clean through deer broadside @ 35 yds.

2) 90 gr. Pyrodex RS with 250 gr. Hornady SST sabot bullet zerod to 50 yds. =
a drop of 2.5" @ 100yds. and got a 3 shot cloverleaf group.

Swabbing between shots is routine for best accuracy as well as seasoning the bore
with 1000+ bore butter. Don't use petroliem based lubes in the bore and use a lightly
dampend swab followed with a dry patch between shots to ensure reliable function.
 
Thanks S S.......using triple 7 ,3 pellets (150gr) and XTP 240gr sabots by Hornandy. they claim no lube required?. Guess Im gonna have to buy one of those fancy ram rods that have the screw in thingy to run a swab thru....
 
Thanks S S.......using triple 7 ,3 pellets (150gr) and XTP 240gr sabots by Hornandy. they claim no lube required?. Guess Im gonna have to buy one of those fancy ram rods that have the screw in thingy to run a swab thru....

Check out the Track of The Wolf website. They have lots of rod and tip
options and they ship to Canada, cheap. Just ordered a rod and jag for
use with my H&R .58 cal Huntsman. The shipping is just over 8 bucks
for Priority Mail.:)
 
You don't need 150!! I hunt with 90 gr loose T7 and an 300gr XTP past 150 yds routinely. I swab between shots, load, then lube with bore butter (ahead of the seated bullet so is not to contaminant powder charge behind mmp sabot).

I even go so far as to score the bullet by rolling it between a flat surface and a file. This embosses the crosscut file pattern lightly into the copper jacket. The bullet locks into the sabot, which eliminates shifting in the sabot when loading, and the sabot transfers max spin to the bullet without slippage.
 
I use 90gr. FFFG with 180gr roundball. As has been said, you need to swab out the barrel every few shots, but getting a wood ramrod will stop your bending problem.
 
The only thing I would add is it's well worth investing in a range rod as they are much easier on the hand if you are going to be doing a lot of shooting. I think the newer ones are even designed to allow you to replace your stock rod if you wanted to take the stronger rod on the hunt with you as they have a indent in the handle to allow you to fire it when store in the gun. Mine is a older one and the handle is completely round so I only use it for loading at the range. Also makes a great cleaning rod.

The one pictured below is a CVA Palm Saver Replacement Ramrod

rangerod_zpsd0dad667.jpg
 
Crushed rib sabots put the fun back in my loading process. The sides have fine groves (ribs) to ease loading. Accurate IME. Had similar woes to you. No more. Can get em direct from the manufacturer in KY.

sabots%2045%20cal.jpg


ht tp://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3&vmcchk=1&Itemid=3

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41:choosing-the-right-sabot-aamp-bullet-combo-for-your-bore&catid=6:toby&Itemid=7
 
Back
Top Bottom