Bergmann Mars Pistol

Mean Steak

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Location
Central Alberta
Hey Guys, I was just surfing around the internet and came across this little gem. Now I was wondering if any of these ever made it into Canada?
In 10 years of antique and collecting I have never even seen one.
If any fellow gun nut has one or has shot one; would you be willing share your experiences and thoughts?
Cheers


Here is a picture taken from the internet
 
There was one listed on the EE as a project gun within the last 2 years.

It sold almost instantly as I recall. I tried to buy it myself but it was already spoken for.

Edit.. I think it may have been a Bergmann Bayard as I remember the trigger guard being a round hole.
 
There was one listed on the EE as a project gun within the last 2 years.

It sold almost instantly as I recall. I tried to buy it myself but it was already spoken for.

Yup sure was, I remember that one coming up and I was very interested, along with hundreds of others apparently haha!
 
Caliber? Is that a "Luger" action? I see a safety lever, but what is the button where a mag release would be (the release is inside the trigger guard), is it an action open lock? Charger bridge? Year?

Chambered in 9mm Largo. I think its more like a "broomhandle action". I don't know what that button is for either? The one in the picture is a 1903 model.
 
Chambered in 9mm Largo. I think its more like a "broomhandle action". I don't know what that button is for either? The one in the picture is a 1903 model.

Very kewl pistol. I would love to see one in action. It has a lanyard ring, is it therefore a safe assumption that this is military issue? (Prussian, Austria-Hungarian, German, Belgium?)
 
That button is most likely 'The Sideplate Retaining screw' and it looks funny because it has two holes in it's head rather than a slot.
I'm getting this from the take down schematic for the Model 1910/21 Bergmann-Bayard of course. But quite similar from what I can tell.
From Mowbray & Puleo's book.
 

I had a very early one years ago, it was a WW2 bringback by a Canadian soldier.
 
Last edited:
In the Shotgun News issue of Aug.5, 2013 there is an excellent article about Broomhandle pistols that included some history of the Bergmann.
 
Can't really see on the photo, because of the flash (pre-digital camera age). This thing was minty and just to valuable to shoot.
 
Back
Top Bottom