Best Ammo for old Mauser

private_pile

Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
Just picked up a hot blonde Mauser Kar 98K 8mm (1943). Just wondering from personal experience what you think is the best (not too expensive) modern hunting round? Company, grain, etc.
 
Depends what you want to hunt with it. North American ammo manufacturers stick to a 170 gr. low power round to keep it below the 35,000 PSI SAAMI specs. It still works for deer and okay for moose i guess, since my dad use to hunt with Imperial 170 gr. way back when. I found something a little more serious that exploits much better the full potential of the 7,92mm x 57. I use NORMA 196 gr. SP VULKAN. It gives you a good extra 600 ft.lb of energy and comes much closer to the original M1934 Heer round. Its not cheap though.
 
I'm more or less looking to use the gun as a decent deer gun with as much long-range accuracy I can get (or shots hitting the mark at 100 yds at least). I'm guessing the lighter 170 gr. would be best?

My guns usually double as a target shooter in the off-season, and I like to stick with the same ammo.
 
Buy FMJ surplus for practice\plinking and buy a box of ammo from Rem\Win\Prvi and figure it out for yourself. They only offer 1 choice each.
 
Everyday 8mm Mauser

This is a tough one. I can find Remington Core-Lokt hunting ammo in 8mm for $36/box. Plain ammo and no bargain. I can find Euro ammo for $50/box and up.

The Remington Core-Lokt is indeed 170 grain, loaded light for really old actions. (Yours is not old at all.) I find in my Portuguese Verguerio (not a Mauser action, but shooting 8mm) the Core-Lokts seem to have drop at 100 yards. I need holdover at that distance with the iron sights flat. This could be a sight issue, but I think it is a muzzle velocity issue.

So if you really do want something accurate at long distance you are into Euro price territory or reloading. As stated by HP, the Euro ammo is hot and uses the correct 195 gr pill.
 
Back
Top Bottom