Best Blackpowder Gun Make ???

Vair

New member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
It was the history of the Black Powder guns that first piqued my interest in Guns. So now, I am finally looking to purchase a Muzzle-loader.

It has crossed my mind to - Gasp- purchase an inline. (for ease of cleaning, and durability)

My mother has a knight, and I have heard it said that they are the best for quality and accuracy. Has this held true up until their closing their doors? I know that they have recently been bought out, and there was a little bit of a recall. Does this mean they have gone down in quality?? Can anyone comment on this?

How do the other brands stand up? (T/C and Traditions?)
I see a TC (New Englander?) on EE that looks nice. Is the accuracy and quality there for these guns?

Any input would really be appreciated
Thanks,

Vair
 
It all depends on your purpose for the muzzle-loader...hunting, plinking, competitive target shooting, or just making a lot of smoke and boom once in a while.
I hate to say it since the commercial gun makers are falling behind on this. the general quality has not changed dramatically enough to warrant the prices. Lyman made a fairly good Hawken style years ago, and Dixie gun works put out a few good guns. Thompson Center were really good quality though they were never very good for round ball but were quite good for mini, maxi bullets, or sabots...they tried to compromise with their rifling.
The best way to go, though very expensive. A custom built half stock Hawken, 50 cal.(Bauska barrel, 1in 60" twist) percussion(preferably a Siler lock), 1" across the flats, 36" long barrel. Fitted to your height and arm length, with a tight curly maple stock, single trigger (tuned).
It is a tall order that will cost a pile of money, though in the long run you will have a gun that will last forever and shoot incredibly consistent.
As for makers, research through your BP group. Mine were built by a gunsmith in Havre Montana, back in the 1980's. I shot it continuously for the next two decades and have a ton of prizes to attest to its accuracy.
Cheers
 
Won't comment on what's the best MLer. I bought a TC Encore at Christmas, then sold my SavageML-II and now am trying to sell my Knight on EE - http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421638 - My rifles are all different but all have been good shooters with what makes them sing. Most front stuffers require some experimenting to make them shoot at their best.

As to Knight quality, my somewhat older Knight Wolverine is very high quality though considered by some as "old school" inline technology now. But it's American made and has high quality machining and finish that is obvious. The Green Mountain Rifle Barrel receiver/tube is of excellent quality as is the adjustable Timney trigger. The irons are also quality right down to the adjustment screws which are not crap as some are these days. Sight adjustment is easy and hitting your target with them too. The composite stock, which probably is cheap to make, is inletted perfectly to mate with the receiver and barrel. It was sold as an economy model but I know they didn't build crap in order to do it - at least up to 5 years ago or so. I don't know about recent models after Tony Knight left. Many American gun manufacturer's product's quality are going downhill these days it seems.
 
if you can find one whites are the best hands down.they shoot large chunks of lead great and shoot saybo's equally well.i don't have time now but will post some groups for you
 
That's good to know, and a shame...!
I was in at a Gun show last fall, and there was a laminate/stainless white listed for $300. I thought it was a good deal (and a nice Gun), but I was scared because I didn't know anything about them. So I passed up the deal.
I would appreciate the seeing the Grouping! and anything you can let me know about them. Just in case another opportunity presents!
Cheers,
Vair
 
Back
Top Bottom