Best deal for this .270 factory ammo...

cbabes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
184   0   0
Location
Oshawa, Ontario
I found a couple of places to get the following ammo but they wanted $49 per 20 rounds. Is this the going rate everywhere or does anyone know where else I can get some cheaper. Maybe a 100 round box? I found the ammo at Canadian Tire for $39 but they only had it in 30-06. I would like to use this stuff for hunting and want to sight my rifle with it ahead of time. It looks like I am going to have to get setup to reload rifle as I only reload handgun right now.....


20rds - 270 Winchester 130gr. Supreme Elite XP3 Ammo.
.270 Winchester 130gr. Supreme Elite XP3 ammo. The XP3 bullet starts with a 2-stage expansion design, then combines all the best known bullet technology into one bullet. It delivers precision accuracy, awesome knockdown power, and deep penetration all in one package -- and it's as effective on thin-skinned game, like deer and antelope, as it is on tough game, like elk, moose, bear, and African animals, at short and long ranges. The Elite XP3 bullet has a muzzle velocity of 3050 fps. and 2685 ft. lbs. of energy. This ammo comes packed in 20rd boxes.
 
Anything with Supreme Elite marked on it will cost you alot, good luck finding it cheaper. I suggest you check out a sporting goods store or a Gun shop that sells more, you might be able to save a buck or two a box.

If you are only after deer why not go for a plain old softpoint? I routinely see 130 grain softpoint ammo from the Big 3 for around 20$ a box.
 
Anything with Supreme Elite marked on it will cost you alot, good luck finding it cheaper. I suggest you check out a sporting goods store or a Gun shop that sells more, you might be able to save a buck or two a box.

If you are only after deer why not go for a plain old softpoint? I routinely see 130 grain softpoint ammo from the Big 3 for around 20$ a box.


Thanks. I just like the fact that this stuff is rated CXP3 for larger game like moose or brown bear. I picked up some of the 150gr power point stuff from Walmart for $24(cxp2). I have just read a lot of good things about this XP3 stuff. Even the 130gr in XP3 is rated CXP3. So far I found them for $49 per 20 at William's Arms and $41 per 20 at Lebarons. I have the dies so I am going to setup for reloading this caliber. I only reload pistol so I have a bit of learning curve first. Never trimmed casings or used lube before(for reloading anyway) :p.
 
Last edited:
If you want the extra special performance when the regular load will work quite well on deer, then expect to pay extra special prices for the ammunition. Your money and your choice.
You may find the extra special performance doesn't contribute all that much to deer hunting. If they are made for penetration on large game, it might not expand very quickly on deer. Good shot placement will result in a dead deer, but it may not be as quick as you expect.
 
What did moose and bear hunters do before this expensive stuff came out?

I just like trying new stuff. I realise even though Winchester rates their cheaper ammo in 150 grain a 2 and not the "3 you need for moose" that many people have taken moose with the cheaper stuff for years.

But if I have two tags and the moose are standing right beside each other I can take them both with one shot of the XP3. :p
 
Back
Top Bottom