best manufactured ammo for .30-06.

stc77

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just recently purchased a browning x bolt in .30-06. Curious to know if anybody has any advice on ammo that has been used. I'll be using this for white tail and muley's. Any advice would be appreciated! I think i am leaning towards either the federal vital shok, or winchester super x/ supreme. I'm assuming winchester will be better for my gun, knowing that winchester and browning are owned by the same company.
 
With Federal Power Shok 180 gr. SP's, I've always gotten equal or better accuracy than other brands. Whatever powder Federal uses, I find it leaves the bore the cleanest too.

I'm not willing to pay huge amounts for premium bullets when those old SP's will kill an animal just as dead. At one time they were considered premium bullets and have accounted for a lot of game.

With a 150 gr. bullet you'll be shooting nearly as flat as a .270 Win, and a 165 gr. would probably be ideal for what you want to do. I chose the 180 gr. load because I live in moose territory, but it still isn't too much for deer.
 
What MapleSugar said. If you whack a deer with the el cheapo stuff, it will be as dead as with the $40+ stuff. If you are trying to shoot moose at 800 yards, well....:p
 
Lapua ammo is superior according to many and they have 30.06.

+1 :agree:

Lapua Naturalis or Mega but I never used the Mega myself.

I also had tight groups with Norma ammo (Nosler Accubond 180gr)

Both companies offers top quality manufactured ammunition but priced accordingly.
 
What ever is cheapest works in my 30:06(180 gr.), if it's not much more then $20 I'm picking up a box or two every so often. Don't know where your hunting but in the southern interior of BC a lot of deer are easily within 100 yards and if you practice a bit then 200 yards shots are not too difficult. The last 5 deer I've shot all dropped where they stood and at a buck a shot that's cheap meat.
 
It goes without saying that you will pick one that shoots well in your rifle. With that said, not everything has equal terminal performance. For the price, Fusions consistently shoot well in a number of my rifles and the bonded bullets punch through and through with good wound channels. If I reload the ole '06, then I stuff the cases with 180 Accubonds or Interbonds.
 
I bought an xbolt in an 06 last year. I found that winchester silver ballistic tips 150g were awsome accurate. I shot all the brands and all were very close. Currently im using Hornady 165 interbond only because i like the 165gr ballistics better and cant find the wichester 168 localy.
 
I bought an xbolt in an 06 last year. I found that winchester silver ballistic tips 150g were awsome accurate. I shot all the brands and all were very close. Currently im using Hornady 165 interbond only because i like the 165gr ballistics better and cant find the wichester 168 localy.
Nosler custom just came out with a 165 grain accubond. Apparently they are pretty good. The hornady's have higher velocity, but these noslers have a higher ballistics coefficient... i think i might try them out. And they arent too bad price wise. I think about 32$ for a box of 20. They sell them at wholesale sports...if you are near one of those at all.
 
Back
Top Bottom