Best price on .45 Colt Ammo (.45 "Long" Colt)??

X-man

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
249   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
I've got a friend looking for .45 Colt ammo (not .45ACP). What is the average/going price for a box of 50 these days in Canada? Best place to order? Best prices?

I reload, just not for this caliber. So we're looking at whether or not it is worth it to invest in dies, components, etc...to reload for this caliber, or simply buy factory ammo, as he won't be a high-volume consumer of this caliber.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
 
What gun is he using it in. If in a modern gun reloading would be worthwhile as factory ammo tends to be anemic at best.
 
By the second box, you'd have recouped the cost of the dies, by the third you'd be ahead. If you already reload, and plan on shooting more than 2 boxes ever, then you should reload for it.
 
"...whether or not it is worth it to invest in dies..." The shipping cost for ammo will convince you. Remington 225 grain LSWC's run around $52 per 50. $45 for Winchester Cowboy 250 grain ammo.
 
And yet the .45 Colt's is one of the cheapest and easiest cartridge to reload, 5 grains of powder, .09cent bullet, .03 cent primer, how much are we up to?
 
I picked up a set of dies that he's going to pay for. As it should happen, I stumbled across a Lyman mould I forgot I had picked up in a trade intended for the .45 Colt. He buys the components and I'll do the loading for him, plus I'll get to shoot his new Rugers as well for free! :) (excepting my time, of course)
 
Back
Top Bottom